Friday, July 20, 2012

Microsoft- A Big Fat Dinosaur?

                                                                        Catharsis          
I want a transfer dammit!
 
Two guys having a drink at the corner bar after work.  On guy complains that his wife is always on his ass about this and that; "I'm fed up!"  His friend chips in, "yesh, your wife is a fkn cnt." And is promptly punched in the nose.  She may be a bitch, but she's my bitch. Right? 


Res Ipsa LoquitorI see that Microsoft had it's first losing quarter ever.  Prolly has something to do with stuff like this:

MoSup's old computer is newer- but slower than my old box that I'm giving her.  Old computer runs XP.  The ONLY program of consequence I had to get all of was Thunderbird mail.  She has about 3 years of mail archived, with pictures and videos, etc.  That's her filing system.  Best way was to use the XP Easy Transfer program.   It took about 90 minutes to compress  her measly files.  When I plugged into to the new (Windows 7) box however, that Easy Transfer program didn't recognize the "unc" backup file created by XP. 

WTFF?

I Googled "XP file transfer .unc to Windows 7"  and got virtually nothing;  no real help.  Somehow I wound up using Microsoft's' Bing search engine.  Probably because you can hardly move anymore without being hijacked by it; having a Bing tool bar installed.   But guess what?  Bing came back with a zillion responses, almost all referencing a Microsoft solution or forum.  In short order I found the fix, re-cataloged her old computer,  and did the transfer. 

For what that was worth!

MS's crappy architecture stores some info in  Program Files, some in /User Files, and still more in /Application Data files; all orchestrated by a registry file.  So, there is no way to just pick up one box and move it to another room.  Here, a day later, I'm still reconstructing her stuff. Which is why I hate Microsoft's guts for the moment. 

Aside: It's very much in Microsoft tradition to muscle competitors out of the loop, even one as dominant as Google (remember LOTUS 123/ Excel; or Netscape/ IE?).  What they've done here, it appears, is block Google's bot from access to anything on Microsoft's servers. It won't take long for people to notice that lapse, and just use Bing.  I kind of admire that; or at least enjoy seeing Google being one-upped (if that is indeed what happened).

This is cathartic for me, in case you wonder why I think anyone g-a-s.


12 comments:

Chris in NC said...

Wedding anniversary? Who doesn't know the date they started their incarceration? It was the biggest fucking mistake of my life. I WISH I could forget that date...

pdwalker said...

It's much easier to move computers with a Mac.

*runs, ducks and hides*

Seriously though, I have o problem finding stuff on Microsofts website using google. All their support information is indexed, along with their sites, forums, and whatnot.

Try the search again and add "site:microsoft.com" to see if you can get better results.

Or use bing. Whatever works.

pdwalker said...

o = no

Anonymous said...

She may be a bitch, but we're her byotch.

Sir H the Byotch

Ralph Gizzip said...

Wedding Anniversary?!?

Shit! Which one?

Anonymous said...

About moving computers on a Mac. There are many, many free ways that work perfect ally. People run carbon copy cloner and move everything to an external drive. Boot from it (yeah we can do that..) and make sure everything made it.. THEN reverse the process on the other computer. Timemachine (one way of keeping incremental backups) will let you restore you computer back to a date in the past (like 30 minutes ago or two months/years) and it's bundled.

Any Mac can be turned on in 'target disk' mode where it just behaves like an external drive.

Macs kick serious butt when it comes to the causal user being able to move from system to system. Windows is way behind the curve in this area.

Just my .02

Anonymous said...

Bought a new machine this year, hooked both up to the router and transferred all the files I needed to (from XP to Win 7) with no problems. Didn't even need to spend an extra $5k on a mac.

Kristophr said...

Put a large second drive in your PC.

Change your "users" folder to the root of drive D:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/18629-user-folders-change-default-location.html

When you need to reload windows or move to a new PC, just move the drive, and/or reload windows, and then change "users" back to D.

Easy.

Anonymous said...

I foresaw this coming, I was smart, I got married on Good Friday so I'll never forget. What?

Anonymous said...

I use Thunderbird Portable installed on a slave hard drive. All the emails and settings are in one file folder.

Every few weeks I just copy that folder to a thumb drive and then copy the folder to my other computers. On those PCs, I change the settings to leave the messages on server. That way when I use my main PC I can retrieve all the messages.

I also can take the thumb drive anywhere, access my email and not leave any traces on the borrowed PC.

rw4site

CarlS said...

Pick up a copy of "Second Copy" and use it to back up your files.

No, I don't work for or with them, but I've been using hteir system for years. And by the way, I still have email from 1991. The backups used by SC make those backups as easily accessible as . . . well, any other file.

Second Copy
http://www.centered.com/
Requirements: Works with Windows XP/2003/Vista/7/2008
Purchase Information: Shareware: Free to try, $29.95 if you decide to keep it.

Second Copy is the perfect automatic backup software designed for Windows XP and above. It makes a backup of your data files to another directory, internal or external hard disk or to a computer across the network.

Second Copy® monitors the source files and keeps the backup updated with new or changed files. It runs in the background with no user interaction. So, once it is set up you always have a backup of your data somewhere else.

Anonymous said...

Google is a communist plot to take over the world....eff em.

Sleeping Giant

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.