Monday, August 20, 2012

Departures - A Japanes Film - 5 Stars

   At The Cinema                           






Daigo Kobayashi  a cellist in Tokyo, loses his job when his orchestra is disbanded. He decides to move back to his hometown, with his wife Mika. Daigo's family used to run a small coffee shop. His father ran away with the waitress when Daigo was very young, and his mother raised him by herself. His mother died two years ago, and left him the house where he grew up. Daigo feels guilty about not having taken better care of his mother.

Back home, Daigo finds an advertisement in the newspaper for "assisting departures". He goes to the interview, uncertain of the job's nature. He is hired on the spot after only one question ("Will you work hard?") and being handed an "advance" by his new boss Sasaki . He discovers that the job involves preparing the dead. Daigo reluctantly accepts. He returns to his wife with sukiyaki for a celebration, but he tells her he will be performing some sort of ceremony. [Wikipedia]

I'm  something of a foreign film buff, but Japanese movies are not among my favorite genre.  They seem to fall into two categories: extreme overstated Samurai culture, or bizarre, overstated Japanese humor (everything Japanese seems to be bizarre and  overstated).  Departures is the best Japanese film I've ever seen (NetFlix). Hell, I think it's the best movie I've watched all year.  It worked (for me) on many levels. 
  1. It was damned interesting
  2. I liked the characters, immensely
  3. Superb,understated acting
  4. It was spiritually moving
Oh, it won the 2009 Academy Award for Best Foreign Film, something I didn't know until I was getting the clip.   I rather think the Japanese "send-off"  is far, far superior to the way we do it. Turning loved ones into wax figures, with mouths stitched closed, and with no family involvement in the process, save for paying for it.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you liked Departures. I recomended it here a few months ago. I recomend it to everyone I know that likes movies. Another Japanese movie you might like is Twilight Samurai, also a thoughtful movie. A Scandinavian film that I also recomend is called O'Horten--spelling might be off, but netflix will find it.

jim

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Ah Jim - I knew someone had recommended it, but just who slipped my mind. Well done sir.

Angie said...

I saw "Departures" about a year ago, and thoroughly enjoyed it, for exactly the reasons you give.

You might enjoy "Shall We Dance ?" ( the 1996 Japanese version, not the Jennifer Lopez abomination ! ), as well as "Densha Otoko" ( Train Man) as well.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Thanks Angie - I have dutifully copied Twilight Samurai, O'Horten (correct sp), Shall We Dansu, and
Densha Otoko to my list.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Update- Only Twilight Samurai, anf Shall We Dansu are available on NetFlix.

Chuck Martel said...

One of my top five favorite movies.

Anonymous said...

Batoru Rowaiaru (Battle Royale)

Like Hunger Games but far better.

FishStyx said...

Rodger and friends: I would highly recommend "When the Last Sword is Drawn."
Not a "sword-slasher" per-se, but a wonderful story about devotion, duty, and personal honor. A drama rather than an action flick; it's the story of a poor samurai selling his services to a noble house during the last days of the samurai class.
A "samurai" movie that might put a little dust in your eyes.
HULU has it for free if its not available on Netflix.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/84241
HIGHLY recommended!!

Ralph Gizzip said...

Daigo Kobayashi?

Funny, he doesn't look Italian.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Jayzuz Ralph, that thought kept running through my mind too. Daigo does looks more Italian than Japanese. Might have been an American GI in his mom's life.

toadold said...

In Japan though it is supposed to be illegal like everywhere else there are class distinctions. The bottom class fall under the term "Burakumin" and sometime you'll come across the term "Eta." Due to both Shinto and Buddhist that handling dead things lead to both physical and spiritual contamination, undertakers fall into the lowest class. When a classical musician becomes an undertaker he drops from a respected class to pretty much the bottom. Once you are there there is no going back in ancient Japan. This is one reason why the wife is so upset when she finds out what he is doing for a living.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.