Thursday, October 18, 2012

Twat's That?

                                                                               Euro Trash

Res Ipsa Loquitor

The Magazine's recent article about the Britishisation of American English prompted readers to respond with examples of their own - here are 30 British words and phrases that you've noticed being used in the US and Canada.

(like these)
Bloody, adj. and adv. An intensifier: absolute, downright, utter. Sometimes in a negative sense
Cheeky, adj. Insolent or audacious in address; coolly impudent or presuming.
Frock, n. A girl's or woman's dress.
Knickers, n. An undergarment for women covering the lower trunk and sometimes the thighs and having separate legs or leg-holes
Shag, v. To copulate with. "You guys missed the best one. 'Shag'

Full List

I can attest to this.  Because I've watched at least one "Top Gear" episode every day for well over a year (I'm on my 4th run through the series), I've taken to using words like Boot (car trunk), Bonnet (car hood), Pillock (stupid, annoying person); Lot (group, as in "that lot"), Twat ( widely used as a derogatory epithet), and many more. 

There's another aspect to Britishisms, one that I've more or less, and quite  consciously adopted.  That is to assign the plural to groups, organizations and corporations.  For instance, we are used to saying "Ford is introducing a new car."  Brits say,  "Ford are introducing a new car"

I think the Brits have it right, and it seems to roll off my tongue.  The problem comes when you're not consistent, which may cause the reader to think you're a  twat, as I'm sure you lot do me.  Well bugger off!
Sigh.


13 comments:

DougM said...

What a berk!
Bloody Yank!
(What? Oh, yeah … those were things I was called over there.)

TimO said...

Watching Monty Python, Are You Being Served, BlackAdder, Red Dwarf, Doctor Who and others from the '70s on did it for me.

(Didn't help me when I worked for a guy from Scotland tho.... couldn't understand anything he said most of the time.)

Red Five said...

I've always thought "twat" was used as a vulgar sort of nickname for the lower female anatomy.

Skoonj said...

Pissed means drunk, not angry.

Anonymous said...

Knock up a bird. Sod off. They really have a knack for phrases.

(Knock up a bird=look up a girl. Sod off=piss off.

Love the Brits.

not Cockney x

macweave said...

Careful about that little pat on he fanny.

Cheesy said...

I blame Austin Powers...

Helly said...

We get a lot of foreign visitors in Sarasota, and I tell them I speak American. This proves I'm right.

But don't beat yourself up for slacking, Rodge. It's natural to follow the herd. For example, when Barry0 visits Africanized areas of the US, he starts talking like a Black person too. And den dey's Biden, y'all.

Anonymous said...

Maths.

*I HATE THAT*

Math. Singular. There is ONE math. Not three or more. One. Perhaps two if you count "new math" as different than regular math.

"They said there would be no math."

NOT

"They said there would be no maths."


-- The Math Geek.

I-RIGHT-I said...

Let me ax ya, where else can you find a King that calls the hood of his 72 Pinto a bonnet? Yeppers.

Anonymous said...

screw the brits...

didn't we kik their arse a coupla hunderd years ago...and make the United States of America?

rickn8or said...

Yeah, that "fanny in front" and "bum in the rear" has caused some problems over the years.

Angie said...

Just be careful around that shag carpet in the parlour !
;-)

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.