Thursday, November 15, 2012

Putting new life into dead meat




How I discovered nahcolite

In the early 1930s I was was hired by a guy named Armand Hammer* to find the Ark of the Covenant before the Nazis.  He saddled me with an oaf named Henry Walton who later wrote a book taking all the credit for my success, but that's another story.   

During our dig (somewhere, way in  East Muhammad),  I discovered a substance I called nahcolite (the brand printed on  underwear I  purchased in Cairo)..  Tinkering with it at night, I discovered a number of properties that seemed promising, especially as a chemical leavening agent.  Walton, and not for the last time,  stabbed me in the back and told Hammer about it. Faster than you can say "Jack Benny,"  Hammer captured the market on it, marketing it as Baking Soda, He never paid me a cent.  But that's not what I wanted to tell you.

Nahcolite Discovery  When I want back to Coral Springs, Egypt (where I made that discovery) I found something shocking.  Coral Springs was nearly covered by sand, and there were but two inhabitants; a Moslem rug merchant and a twelve year old boy. 

It seems that  all the men who worked in the Arm & Hammer nahcolite mine had suddenly come down with what Achmed (the rug merchant) called "تدلى المعكرونة" (drooping noodle).  That is a condition  where the bone and muscle in the penis crumble, making it impossible to achieve what doctors call a "stiff stander." Thus, over time, the population simply died out.  It was believed that it was caused by nahcolite, but alas there was no EPA (Egyptian Penis Association) to stop the mining operation.. But that's not what I wanted to tell you.

A few weeks ago I snapped out of a sound sleep (this was 9 years after that trip back to Egypt) with a vision.  I went into the kitchen and began doodling with -er, make that experimenting with Baking Soda and meat.  I made a remarkable discovery.  If  you cover a cheap piece of meat in a mixture of water and baking soda,  and refrigerate for a few hours, the meat will become as tender as a the finest rib eye.   Just be sure and rinse it with cold water before cooking; no after taste that way.

You're welcome.


*By way of clarification, At the time I didn't know that Armand was in the employ of Joseph Stalin, and twelve guys in the Roosevelt administration.

Aside - today there is heavy mining of nahcolite in Colorado, which may explain why the state has recently become home to so many dickless liberals.

7 comments:

Darrell said...

Ahhh Rodge, Colorado was a great place until all the Californians and East Coasters showed up and ruined it...

Rodger the Real King of France said...

I know, I used to live there (Aurora - Fitzsimmons Army Hospital)

Tom Smith said...

Family vacation took me there as a kid back in the early 70's. Saw some dude walking a sheep on a leash. Thats my view of Colorado

macweave said...

I went to HS and college there. Had a bumper sticker that said "DON'T CALIFORNICATE COLORADO" but they went ahead and did it.

toadold said...

Snorked my coffee here boss!

Anonymous said...

My folks bought the Glen Haven General Store in Glen Haven near Estes, and ran it for a few seasons. My dad quit his job and bought the AAMCO franchise in Boulder, and moved from the midwest.
I went on to the Navy, and finally back there after to run the shop as my dad needed to make some money and went to NARF, Alameda. Boulder was 'free love', patchouli, and the smell of burning grass back then. They had regulations for parking lots that ate up ~50% of the land with shrubs and plants, killing the business. I doubt it has improved, as it attracted those who would have moved to San Francisco, except they were not so gay. They told their friends. Back in the 70's Boulder put up the fence, and stopped all development. So housing prices went through the roof, and they exported their 'philosophy' to neighboring Longmont and surrounds. The feeling I got was "We've got ours, so scrue you." They didn't want anyone else to intrude on THEIR town and they were making it in their own image. Berkeley in the mountains, I found, as I lived next door to Berkeley a couple years later. Same goofy set of beliefs and ideas. Ruination to any place they can worm their way into power. It becomes their way or the highway. If you don't agree, you are an outcast. I mostly stayed out of Berkely the 8 years I lived nearby.
I'll never go back. To either place.
tomw

Juice said...

Learning something new everyday. googled this and found many references. Who'd a thunk? Thanks for the tip.
But, I did not like the crackling chicken baking soda recipe. That taste was not enjoyable.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.