Thursday, February 07, 2013

Looking for a pulse here boss

                                                                                                                                                                                             Gizmos   
 HEAL DAMN YOU!
Res Ipsa Loquitor


Well it just never ends does it?

  Last night I was preparing my dough for some overnight puffing up, when my Hobart Kitchen Aid FP-700 motor seized.  You've all heard that sound—when a motor is trying to turn,  but just can't overcome the invisible force holding it back. HMMMMMMMMMM.  At least I knew to stop trying before the smell of death came, but it was still a hand-biting bad. situation..

We've had this 14 cup, 700w dude for 40 years.  About 12 years ago the magic spring lock that engaged when the lid was in place (so you couldn't blend your hand?) broke.  It didn't take long to figure out that the lid in the lock position pressed a plunger with a magnet that interacted with something metal and allowed it to work.  I found a little magnet in the garage and glued it permanently on the magic G spot,  and it worked better than ever.  That's right, You could even cut stuff with the lid off—if you were that stupid. 

Anyway, I spent at least 90 minutes this morning trying to find a replacement base.  It seems I had the last working FP-700 in the world, and a new machine with the same muscle and capacity starts in the $300 range. So I went back and laid hands on its shaft, and gently massaged it.  Hand turning  the  spindle ever so gently, back and forth, pulling and pushing until, voila!  I felt it move freely.  I put the bowl on and  hit "pulse"—and verily I say unto you it did pulse. Say Amen. 

Time for more bagels! But not right now.  I don't want my mellow harshed if it seizes up again.  Give me my hits.


10 comments:

FishStyx said...

We KNEW you had it in you, Boss!!

pdwalker said...

your FP-700 isn't named Lazarus, is it?

Anonymous said...

jolly good show. people cant be bothered to fix things anymore. or use caps
-bfhogues

Randy Rager said...

If you can stand to lose 3 cups capacity, the Cuisinart 11 cup model can be had from Costco for 149.99, which I wish I had known before I paid Amazon over 200. Amazon has since come down on the price, but Costco is still beating them by 30 bucks.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

How much torqe? I want bread kneading power.

vanderleun said...

Note to self, Rodg. Clean out the crud that seeps inside more than once every 40 years. Think "smegma!"

Randy Rager said...

I routinely mix dough in my Cuisinart. This sounds all wrong, but forget about the dough blade and just use the regular one. Dough blades are too short to get the job done, regardless of manufacturer.

Anonymous said...

Replaceable brushs?

Anonymous said...

Anon ahead of me said it. Find a good (old) handyman or electrician and change the brushes in the motor. They wear in time. They are replaceable, but not an easy task.
Tim

Anonymous said...

I'd be thinkin' that it is the bearings. The armature runs in bearings or bushings, and over time, with years of use and no added lubricant, they likely wallowed out and jammed.
The motor won't even sing a lick, much less hum if the brushes are worn, as they won't pass the juice...

Take it apart and clean the 40 years of flour, sugar, yeast, and God Knows What out of the gizzards. Inspect the brushes and bearings. An electric motor repair shop may be able to fit replacement brushes and bearings if needed.
tomw

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.