Monday, March 11, 2013

More Bread Please

                   
                    

 
       Bingo!

My last bread post (Deli Rye)  drew a comment (Juice) "Bread machine! yes."

So I'm thinking, what if I take that New York Deli Rye recipe—after the first one hour rise—and then dump it into the bread machine?  I used  French/Italian bread setting; large loaf, medium crust.   What the hell, worst thing, I've lost about 75¢.  But you can see what I got.  

  The nice thing about the bread machine (I have a recon'd Cuisinart 200) is its ease of use.  Throw the ingredients in, press the button and that's it.   The problem I've had with certain breads (rye and whole wheat) is they suck (in fact, don't even try whole wheat until you've watched this)

Anyway, the loaf sizes (using Cuisinart's recipe) are smaller than I'd  suppose them to be, and the interior is not soft and bouncy. But!  In the example below, where I use my own recipe,  the bread has risen about 3" above the top of the pan, giving it a nice circumcised appearance.

Res Ipsa Loquitor

By contrast,  the rye I was gloating over last week weighed 1 lb 13.25 oz., but had  only about 75% of the volume of the bread machine's loaf.  It was then a bit denser than I'd like.  Truth be told, MoSup was digging me about the girth of my loaf (Oh, isn't that a cute size? Almost like real bread.). This one weighs 1 pound 14 ounces,  but feels lighter. 
.
So there you have it.  From now on I'll use my own recipes, but let Mr. Machine do all the kneading, rising and baking. 

One more thing I like about this bread.  After a few days it starts turning green, My store bread will go 10 days to a week. What's that tell you?

Eat your heart out Helly!  I see a Nobel in the offing. And I've been using a torch in the kitchen for over ten years.  A proper torch that can also solder pipes.



9 comments:

leelu said...

Why are spinning up Helly??

I did the original recipe - mine came out tender in the middle, but with a thick rye-krisp like crust. Tasted good, but very crunchy.

Maybe a bread machine is in my future...

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Why are spinning up Helly??

Because it suits me - we have fun

Anonymous said...

Green as in mold? That should not be happening. Is the bread damp on the inside? I've had that influence mold growth time.
Do you let it cool before putting it into an old bread bag? I've put bread into a bread bag before it has had time to cool all the way to room temperature, and it 'fogs' the bag with out-gassed moisture. Also makes the crust get a little less crunchy.
But, if it is going green too quickly, you must suffer through, and consume it quicker. Will it go into the freezer and survive? Haven't done that with any home-baked.
I use a bread machine exclusively as I don't get the 'knead, punch, etc' instructions. I've made loaves using whole wheat flour, King Arthur, I believe, and found the flavor over-powerful. Tried some halvsie mixes on my own, substituting white for most of the whole wheat, or actually following the white recipe, and adding 1 or 1/2 cup of whole wheat in place of white. Get a much milder flavor.
tomw

Mike C said...

Sadly my bread making and bread machine have been regulated to the bottom shelf of the cupboard where all the other lost kitchen toys go as I am trying to cut back on bread consumption (gotta leave room for bacon!). Before I stopped I was on my second bread machine and most loaves produced rarely lasted the day in my kid riddled household. So mold was never an issue.

That being said, I never had much luck with the rye / whole wheat breads. Biggest consistent failure in that class - Russian Black Bread. If you can do that and it comes out right, you are truly a bread master...

Juice said...

I was thinking my comment would be more of a poke not pleasure. wait. that didn't come out right. Anyway, we are on our second bread machine only because I sold the first one when we vacated CA. They are just so darn convenient. Homemade soup or stew (stove top) and the bread (machine) cooking away on a winter day is such a wonderful aroma in anticipation of dining. Glad your bread didn't fail in the machine! Congrat's Mr. Kitchen. And thanks for the tips. ahem...

drew458 said...

So, which way did you go to get this loaf? Mix it up yourself, let rise for an hour, and then into the bread machine to bake, or was it plop everything in the machine and let Cusinart do all the mixing, rising, and baking.

There's a nice extra large bread machine somewhere in my mom
s basement. Probably right next to the hot air popcorn machine and the teflon lined fondue pot.

Helly said...

I used the French/Italian bread setting;

Comedic genius. You used an open aluminum pan — PRAISE THE LORD — and got better results. If only someone had suggested that technique to you earlier.

What the hell, worst thing, I've lost about 75¢.

That's the spirit! I think Frank Zappa said there can be no improvement with deviation.

… a nice circumcised appearance.

No truer words ever written.

… let Mr. Machine do all the kneading, rising and baking.

This is puzzling. If you are cutting out all the fun parts of the process, why not just buy bread?

After a few days it starts turning green,… What's that tell you?

It means your dough is over-hydrated and under cooked, so the loaves are retaining too much moisture. You are over compensating to remedy some of the bread machine symptoms and creating new ones. The underlying problem is you just can't get good bread this way.

Eat your heart out Helly! I see a Nobel in the offing.

Don't blame me; I nominate you for the NPP every year. However, my Cylindres de Poulet are sweeping the chemistry, math, and physics prizes.

I've been using a torch in the kitchen for over ten years.

I'm sure. If only you weren't so bashful about posting pix of your work. slaps knee*

leelu said...

Boss...

Just curious.

Have fun !

Anonymous said...

Check out your local Goodwill store -'specially if it's in a well-to-do neighborhood. Got my big Breadman Plus for $8. Eight dollars. Use it every week and love it.
They'll be back in that undignified stack next to the fondue pots and jack lallane juicers. Just check and be sure the little paddle thingy is still there; they tend to get lost.

You're welcome.
JJ

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.