Monday, April 08, 2013

Company Pork

                   
                    

 
Guest Food
Res Ipsa Loquitor

We had the wife's family here for the past four days.  While working up the menus I decided to step up the coffee for them,  and bought a 12 ounce bag of Seattle's Finest because it was, at $9.79,  the cheapest premium blend Giant carried..

God help me. I'm not a coffee snob, and we've been happy with Wal-Mart coffee—I buy it by the case, home delivered—but that there Seattle coffee is so noticeably better that I can't go home again.  The good news is that WalMart sells it for $6 the bag delivered.  I ordered 6 bags (and some paper towels) so there was no tax or freight.  What the hell,  we only use one ounce of coffee a day (8 cups), so one bag will last—let's call it two weeks—so six bags will last—lets call it 3 months.  Just 40¢ a day.  Piece of cake.

On the topic of guest food, I made spare ribs Saturday.  Remember that oven pulled pork recipe?  Well I prepared my 4 slabs of ribs the same exact way.  Brined, slathered, rubbed and baked in foil sealed pans.  The only concession I made for the lighter mass was to bake @ 275° for about 45 minutes, then @300° for about 45 minutes, and then 325° for one hour.  But wait!  When I took the foil off and tasted the sauce all I could taste was pepper!  WTF?  Maye I screwed up the dry rub?  I rubbed a handful of brown sugar on each slab and let them crust up for an hour at 275° (while watching to make sure the sugar didn't burn).  For about the last 10 minutes I turned the heat up to 500°.  

I anticipated that the whole lot would be a bust, but no!  In fact, they were hands-down the best ribs I've ever made, maybe ever had!-and that was the table's  consensus too. I mean, perfect.  Not quite falling off the bone, and firm enough that when you bit into them the bite mark remained. A sign of perfection. 

FWIW, I also made this recipe  for pork and bean.  Result was much better than I anticipated.  Quite wonderful in fact,  despite using only about 12 ounces of  pork roast that I had in the freezer.

Damn I miss Saturday Terp  basketball.



13 comments:

DonM said...

What?! No coleslaw? For Shame.

I'll try you recipe for the ribs Sounds good.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Awk - I used Don's slaw - sorry for the forget

Skoonj said...

Glad you liked your ribs. But for me, I want ribs untouched by Honkey hands. Just like at Penny's Rib Shack. I've had the very best, and I know no one else's will ever come close. I don't even look anymore.

Juice said...

Never heard of doing ribs like that. You must have some kind of magic!
We finally gave up the Seattle's Best and Star Bucks in favor of -yes not a typo- Folgers Black Silk 27.8 oz @ $8.98 online, $8.94 store shelf. No kidding delicious. (.32 pr oz)

DonM said...

We just had a long power outage. High winds and snow most of the morning. I hope we don't have another later tonight, it's going to be cold again
Hey Juice. My Son-in-Law loves Starbucks (I can't stand it) but I brewed him some Foldger's French Roast and he says it's the best he's tasted.
Rodger, I always use Spanish Smoked Paprika for BBQ Sauces. I don't believe you indicated what type you use.

Anonymous said...

+1 on the Black Silk, Juice. We started using it a couple years ago, and I like it just as well as anything else on the market up here. I usually wait until it gets under $9 a can and buy two or three.
PvtCdr(SS) MichigammeDave

Rodger the Real King of France said...

The original America Test Kitchen recipe (linked) indicates 2 TBSP of Spanish smoked paprika. I love the stuff-- have to watch myself lest I put it in everything. BTW, if you add it to Jimmy Dean type breakfast sausage it tastes like chorizo.

caplight45 said...

I was in Ethiopia a few years ago. I could tell you coffee stories for an hour. All I can say is it ruined me for life. Nothing can ever compare. But then they invented it. BTW IMHO Starbucks takes those beautiful beans from the Sidamo region where I was and roasts the crap out of them. Pity.

Helly said...

"they were hands-down the best ribs I've ever made, maybe ever had!"

More proof that everything tastes better with the inlaws.

Mike C said...

My 2 cents..

Coffee:
I got one of the most life changing Christmas presents from my daughter this year - a coffee grinder. Pour the beans in, grind, put in the coffee maker. Dramatically deeper, fuller tasting coffee. Now i'm a coffee snob... Pre-ground coffee is just a pale imitation... might as well be drinking instant...

Ribs:
The very first thing I smoked when I resurrected my electric smoker in the fall. With apologies to your worship, for me, that is the only way to do ribs.

caplight45 said...

Re Coffee again if I may, In Ethiopia they have a coffee break, very ceremonial, three times a day. I was in an office building in Awasa when they took the second break around noon. Two ladies brought in a small coal fired cooker. While they heated the water over the fire they took green coffee beans and roasted them in a pan over the same coals. They also took a hot piece of coal and put it in a censor and burned frankincense. When the beans were finished roasting, while still warm,they ground them in a stone mortar and pestle. Then they cooked popcorn in the coffee pan. The mingling of aromas of coffee, incense, and even the coal filled the room. The ground coffee is pour in the water carafe, a very long-necked ceramic vessel with a large bulbous body and let it steep over the coals. It was then served to us with a little milk and sugar. The morning coffee is straight up noon has a little milk and sugar and the coffee at about 4:00 pm is about half milk with some sugar. They typically only drink one cup of about 6 or maybe 8 ounces each time. I had two cups at breakfast and basically flew through the morning. But unlike starbucks et al the coffee does not taste burnt, bitter or acid. It is the most unbelievably bold, rich yet smooth coffee imaginable.
5

Anonymous said...

I AM a coffee snob, and a tea snob too. Easily affordable vices that are actually good for you. When I lived in New Haven, hands down the best coffee was Willoughby's. The owners actually went around the world meeting plantation owners, sampling, and getting the best beans and leaves personally and selling them to us for much much less. You can buy from them online. Since bought out by a bigger company, just for the owner experience and contacts, the same people are still traveling around the world buying. I don't have any relation except as a customer/fan.

willoughbyscoffee.com

leelu said...

I get 8 o'clock Roasters Italian Roast whole beans delivered monthly from Amazon. Price varies a bit from month to month, but it's been under $20.00 for four 11.5 ounce bags, much less tha at Weis or Giant.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.