Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Watching the BBC Live?


Wither Man Lab?


Res Ipsa Loquitor


I asked about this before, and the answer involved downloading and tweaking software that was beyond my attention span.  I've been watching James May's "Man Lab," on BBC/America, and I quite like it.  The best episode had May and Oz Clark, his  partner on  the excellent Big Wine Adventures,  escaping from Dartmoor prison,  but all have been worthy. I just discovered that this is the third series we're just getting here, so I tried connecting with the mother ship.  No Go. So here's me question.

If I reinstall Windows, and when it comes to the part about What Country I select Great Britain, will that serve as a gateway to watching Brit television?  If not, how is it that they knowdo they know?  My ISP?  What if I'm a Brit attached to the Embassy, and want to watch home telly?   There has to be a way.

Thanks.




10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would not be surprised if the decision was based on the location of your ISP rather than what your machine claims. One possible work around might be to use a VPN that has servers located in Britain.

Freddie Sykes

Anonymous said...

If it is the same system most sites use, it's a simple geo-ip lookup. When you access a website, it tracks your IP address to see where the ISP is located. If you're still using Firefox boss, there is a plugin called "modify headers".

Actually, I'm on my phone so explaining it would've been a pain. I just googled it, and a website called "Broken secrets" has a rundown.

http://brokensecrets.com/2010/09/27/how-to-watch-blocked-internet-videos/

It's not too difficult. I've used it to trick international servers into thinking my ISP is from another country before, for very similar purposes. If the BBC works the same way then this will work fine. Let me know.


Josh

Cowboy Blob said...

But won't you have to pay the Telly Tax then?

Anonymous said...

Just looked around on Desktop. Yeah, BBC likes to do it the hard way. Even if what I said worked, you'd have to pay for that license. If you don't mind shelling out the cash though (if you even can) then my way could work.

There are other ways as well, but as you mentioned, they get a bit technical.

Josh

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Thanks Josh. I'll send the B-52 and send you to England to sort it out.


Whoops, they just radioed that you're not home. Oh well.

Drew said...

well....there is a way to get the season 3 episodes that have 'fallen off the truck'.

IYKWIM

iri said...

James May's 20th Century2007NR
James May of "Top Gear" revisits the 20th century to discover how inventors and their innovations have changed the way we live today by building cities, conquering space, improving our bodies and more.

Genre:Special Interest
Average rating: 4.2174Rate 5 starsRate 4 starsRate 3 starsRate 2 starsRate 1 star.Save All


Huh, you can't get your show on Netflix? I'll try this instead since it's all I got since I cut the cable.

11B3H said...

I use expat shield " www.expatshield.com "

And once installed, it is easy to start and stop service as needed. It must be running before you connect to BBC Iplayer.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

sumbitch - when I went to download it I discovered I already had- in June 2012. So I've reloaded it. Now what do I do?

11B3H said...

If you see the little red shield icon in your taskbar, just right-click and go for connect/ON.

If it turns green you're in the UK !

Brilliant !

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.