Sunday, July 21, 2013

Justified

   At The Cinema                           


Justified

I've been deluged with e-mail  like this:

Say, Rodge.  You were right about Downton Abbey, but now that we finished it, we're needing your suggestion for a new series. Maybe something a bit livlier?  You know; a series we can get into like Downton, or Doc Martin,  but with non-stop action.  The wife wants some love interests but doesn't like seeing any generals or live bosoms. I want me some bad guys getting they asses shot off.  But, it has to be well done—like with an attitude.  Maybe something like, oh I dunno, Get Shorty.  Remember that?  Something with lots of episodes too.  Thanks

Claude Bawlz


Claude, this is amazing.  I've only watched season one of Justified, and a few of season two, but I could watch them all at once if I wanted to be a pig about it.  And get this!  The series is based on the short story "Fire in the Hole" by Elmore Leonard,  who wrote Get Shorty! He's also the executive producer.

Since it's a FX cable series, where you can evidently say "goddamn" but not "fuck," it's failrly langauge neutral, but no kids!  Not a nipple in sight, but still there's plenty of old school steam.

I watch on Amazon Prime (have exclusive rights); 4 seasons available (48 episodes) But you've probably already seen it since it's very popular with people who watch television. Here's a sample.


You're welcome.

17 comments:

Juice said...

I've seen Justified, only because Timothy Oliphant is in it. hubba-hubba.
Another good series, imo, is Hell on Wheels on AMC. Action and western all at once.

TimO said...

Wife and I love Justified (which surprised me because my family is from that part of the country) and on BBCAmerica we've really liked Ripper Street.

iri said...

It's a good show but a little tough on the Hillfolk.

Anonymous said...

Leonard also wrote one of my favorite westerns - Valdez is Coming - and Bronson flicks - Mr. Majestyk.

Sir H the Comet

DougM said...

My favorite series.
It's like slathering BBQ sauce on a drumstick, then dropping it in the dirt and eatin' it anyway.
Nope, doesn't have many characters I'd call honorable or even responsible, but none of 'em are one-dimensional, and danged if there isn't somethin' to like about all of 'em.

Anonymous said...

Claude may lilke Lillie. a series about Lillie Langtry. Quite goodtio

Rodger the Real King of France said...

I recommended Lillie before I unrecommended it (all episodes in America sucked)

Cuzzin Rick said...

Started watching, on the recommendation of a friend, the "Boardwalk Empire" series.... not bad. Yep, a bit of nudity here and there, and fowl language... which doesn't bother me a bit. Part of the fabric of the series is the use of real characters and events (Al Capone, Prohibition, etc.....) I put it below Downton Abbey, Justified, House of Cards, and a few others..... but would include it in a "Top Ten" list, if you are relegated to "computer TV" like we are here, in Uruguay.

Anonymous said...

Justified is primo TV fare.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, that wuz me.

Kim

Anonymous said...

No gunfire in the streets or even semi-bare boobs, but "Suits" on USA has some pretty high intensity intellectual action. Buncha real smart guys playing high speed, low drag high stakes everything. First two seasons are on Prime.

I will admit, though, I wonder sometimes what Suits would be like with Raylan Givens at the firm.

Stick said...

And as a bonus, Justified has a real no-shit Hollywood conservative, Nick Searcy, in the cast. Cast was horrified to find he had Rush's theme as a ring-tone.

Mike C said...

I also really liked Justified - religiously watched every episode. What really hooked me? Three words - "Apple Pie Moonshine". Nuff said there.

Deadpan humor and almost unbelievably good shooting.. how the hell did that series make it through the Hollywood liberal filter? Oh - wait - I get it - because at it's heart, it's about a bunch of corrupt stereotyped white people.. Despite that it's one of the best modern series since Firefly.

Jon said...

Orphan Black (BBC America) is a twisting tale of cloning gone wrong. Nudity in the 1st episode along with language and violence. Only 4 episodes in.

David said...

I love Justified. The other day my son and I were walking through Costco and we saw they were selling "moonshine". There was a glass jar of apple pie moonshine. The first thing that went through my head was "it was already in the glass."

Anonymous said...

So, haven't seen The Unit yet?

thoR~

Rodger the Real King of France said...

David - You gave me my new comment caption

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.