Wednesday, October 23, 2013

One Touch Can Opener Crap

  Gizmos and Gadgets                     

ONE TOUCH CRAP


A few months ago I noticed a pain in my right wrist tendons, just below the meaty part of the hand.  Of course I just ignore pain and carried on.  Of a sudden though, it began to affect my ability to do the one-hand iron skillet pancake flip.  I began to pay attention.  Bingo!  While opening a can with my side can opener (pictured), which idea I love because the lid pops right back on for short term storage of unused sauce, the pain was quite exaggerated.  It seems my hand is ill-suited to this design,  causing unusual tendon twisting, or whatever.

After much deliberation, and reading numerous Amazon user testimony on various electric openers, I popped for the "One Touch,"  around $30 (two AA batteries not included).

 The first time I tried to open a can was a circus. Only way I could get it to work was to hold the can upside down and hand turn the can, which caused all the juices to leak out.  WTF?  The directions are printed on a fold-over 3x3 inch paper that contain instructions in 96 languages.  I couldn't read them, so I went to You Tube, which video I posted above.

Small wonder I couldn't figure out how to use it.  It's absolutely counter-intuitive to my can opening experiences.  It's magical.  I called MoSup in and said, watch this.  She watched me open a can of tuna and said "It's slow"  She is unimpressed with gadgetry. I may have put some old batteries in, but,  like who cares?  You're cooking, just start opening your can and do something else for the 30 seconds.  Which is what I did last night with a can of Chinese vegetables. 
 That's right,  The sumbitch jammed so badly that I - and I'm not kidding - I used the meat cleaver to chop the bastid open enough to get the veggies.  This morning I tried to free it, but even with the use of pliers I'm unable to unjam the thing. 

I feel better now.  People will see this story and that Japanese outfit will be bankrupt before year end.  December 7th baby!.


9 comments:

iri said...

I think its about time you give us another panorama view of all your kitchen gadgets. Maybe lay them out on the driveway or something.

BlogDog said...

You've got a carpal tunnel problem there boss.

Capcha word: oogyple. I think it should be a real word for ... something.

Anonymous said...

Get Krupps version...it works!

JLW III said...

Swap your mouse hand for six months or so. Also swap the left and right keys.

JLW III

Esteve said...

Rodger, after watching the video I saw your problem right off. It only works on mystery cans with no paper label.

iri said...

Get a $10 Red Chinese 110v from Wallyworld, it works.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

I've had mouse carpal tunnel before, and this is different. Maybe it's still carpal tunnel, but it began after I started using that red can opener. Time will tell.

FWIW, I finally removed all the steel from the mechanism, and it works again. I'm amazed, because I beat the shit out of it. I also discovered it has a reverse button.
If it turns out I was wrong, I'll do a public apology in a few months.

Anonymous said...

Put the freshest batteries you have in there to get the most torque. I would bet it jammed because it didn't have enough power to get past a 'tight' spot. Maybe.
My wife has a pampered chef opener I cannot figure out. It removes the lid and lip completely. If you want to squeeze a can of tuna, you have to use a regular opener.

tomw

Rodger the Real King of France said...

tomw -I think hers is what I call a "side opener" too. And "squeezing a can of tuna" certainly resonates here -- the only problem I have with that technique. Thanks.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.