Friday, November 29, 2013

My morning with Verizon

       


Outrage Upon Which I Will No Longer Put                          
         

Just for the record




Chat Subject:Forgot User Id & Password
Your Question: I have so many Verizon PWs that I can't keep track
A Verizon Representative will be with you shortly. Thank you.

Agent Mary has joined. (08:57:14)
Mary : Chat ID for this session is 112xxxxx. (08:57:14)
Mary(08:57:19): Thank you for choosing Verizon and visiting our chat service. I would be happy to help you.
For quality and security purposes, your session is recorded and may be monitored or reviewed. May I help you with your online registration, online bill pay or user id and password?
R CUSTOMER(08:58:11): I have so many Verizon PWs that I can't keep track. and cannot sign in
Mary(08:59:22): I apologize that you are having an issue accessing your online account, I will be happy to help you. Can I have your Verizon Home telephone number please?
R CUSTOMER(08:59:45): 999 999 9999
Mary(09:02:15): Thank you. Can I also have your first and last name please?
R CUSTOMER(09:02:43):  (NAME)
Mary(09:03:13): Thank you Mr. Royal Highness, one moment please while I pull up the account.
Mary(09:05:29): I was able to pull up the account and I do need to ask a couple of questions to verify. There is a secret question on file which is: What is the name of your first pet?
R CUSTOMER(09:05:52): bowzer
Mary(09:06:37): I apologize, but that is not the answer I show here. Is there any other pet name you can think of that might be listed there?
R CUSTOMER(09:07:11): spud
Mary(09:08:01): I am sorry, but that is not the answer I show either. Is there any other pet name you can think of that might be listed on the account?
R CUSTOMER(09:09:59): ??? does capitalization matter? Our first pet was Bowzer. my first dog was Spud, or maybe Klyde
Mary(09:12:09): Capitalization does not matter. I am sorry, but that is not the pet name I show here either.
Without that answer I would need to send you a temporary PIN to verify the account. I can send the PIN via an automated call to 999 999 9999 and you would get the call in 2-3 minutes. Are you at that number now?

R CUSTOMER(09:13:24): I want a telephone number I can call on My PHONE and talk with a live person ... this is why I am fed up with Verizom. Thank you.
Mary(09:14:35): I apologize for the frustration. If you would prefer to speak with an agent on the phone you can call 1 866 326 7937. I will tell you they will ask you the same questions I am and will have to follow the same procedures to verify the account without that secret answer.
Mary(09:16:45): I have not heard from you for a few moments. Would you like to continue this chat session?
R CUSTOMER(09:16:47): Am I to understand that calling you on my Verizon phone will cause me to verify that I am calling on my phone and answer ID questions that you have clearly screwed up? Who elese would be calling from MY home phone??
R CUSTOMER(09:18:13): Try the Pet name SLASHER
Mary(09:19:58): That is not the answer I show here, and because we did not confirm that within 3 attempts I do have to send the PIN to verify the account. I apologize for the frustration, I can tell you that without the answer to that question we can either send you a temporary PIN number to verify the account or if you prefer to speak with an agent over the phone the agent could call back the 999 999 9999 number to verify the account.
R CUSTOMER(09:20:29): Try Pet name SLASHER
Mary(09:22:14): That is not the name I show here. I am sorry. I do have to send a PIN in order to verify the account. If you are at the Home number now I can send that PIN and you would get the call in 2-3 minutes. If you will tell me the PIN it will verify the account so I can further assist you. Are you at that number now?
R CUSTOMER(09:23:24): send the pin number then - what user name will I use with it?
Mary(09:24:29): Once you get the PIN if you will tell me that number it will verify the account so I can help you with your log in information.
R CUSTOMER(09:24:46): okay
Mary(09:25:01): I did submit the request and you should receive that call in the next few minutes.

(PHONE RINGS )

R CUSTOMER(09:27:20): temp pin is 1599
Mary(09:28:50): I apologize, but that is not the PIN number that I show here. I will be happy to submit the request again so you will be able to get that number.
R CUSTOMER(09:30:06): I'm going nuts try it again than
Mary(09:32:06): I apologize for the frustration, but that call should arrive in the next few minutes.

(PHONE RINGS AGAIN)

R CUSTOMER(09:35:01): its 1599 and I recorded that message
Mary(09:36:56): I apologize Mr. Royal Highness, but that is not the PIN number I show on file here. Please allow me a moment to check on some information to make sure we can get you the correct PIN and help you access your account.
This session will automatically timeout in one minute. Please respond.
R CUSTOMER(09:44:28): hello? I'm waiting for your response
Mary(09:46:08): I apologize for the wait Mr. Royal Highness. I am going to have the call with the PIN made by a live person to make sure you are able to get that number.
R CUSTOMER(09:46:25): do it
Mary(09:50:06): Thank you for your patience.
R CUSTOMER(09:50:25): You're welcome

(PHONE RINGS AGAIN)

Your session is now closed.
Welcome to Verizon Live Chat

That last phone call was Mary herself.  I was taken aback because here was a  very sweet American voice when I had expected Apu Nahasapeemapetilon.  When I again suggested that Verizon was a mess, and that I had recorded the conversation where I was given the PW 1599, she responded:


"But you typed 9599.
"I recorded it. Want to listen?   And I'm looking at the live transcript that shows 1599"

I wish I'd asked what I typed for the  "Pet name,"  she prolly got  "wowzer."

So there you have what it's like dealing with Verizon - and this was my third attempt at this  problem.
The last two times ended with me giving up and hoping that I could rely on Calvin Coolidge's  direction* (which is my life philosophy) would prevail, and solve itself.  Alas, no.  

I have four more problems with Verizon, including my FIOS bill that increases monthly as my available channels shrink.  Yesterday during Thanksgiving Dinner (which was maybe the most enjoyable in my lifetime) the girls were all discussing how they have to call Verizon every two months to bitch-slap their rates back to where they belong.  I'm way too, what's the  word, insane, that's the word.  I get way too insane dealing with entities who knowingly try to perp me (like our government). But I do love my Internet. 

Someday soon there will be countless services that provide broadband fiber service, and then I will be able to get rid of FIOS completely, and go to ala carte services like NetFlix and Hulu and Ooma.



*If you see ten troubles coming down the road, you can be sure that nine will run into the ditch before they reach you. - Calvin Coolidge

17 comments:

pdwalker said...

It's funny.

In my neck of the woods, they actually practice capitalism and we have great rates, good customer service and actual competition.

Your conversation sounds like a real horror show.

DougM said...

Now …
let's talk about the "Please prove you're not a robot" sign-in procedure here on C&S, hmmmmmm? ;)
(Wha? Laziness is not a bug, it's, uhm, … just NSA-friendly.)

Tom Smith said...

Sticky keyboard?

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Doug, that's a Blogger controlled thing. I can turn it off, but he last time I did that I was nearly spammed out of existrance.

Jess said...

Fuck Verizon.

iri said...

So solly Rodge. In the free states you have a choice of providers.

I already told my story and I still don't really have anything ag'in 'em. But I'll tell you how to get good service from the Verizon/Comcast/ATT/younameit botchics. I always start by asking where they are and sympathizing with then for being on third shift. Then I tell 'em how much they sound like Alec Baldwin. From then on it's smooth sailing. But they still lie through their teeth.

Anonymous said...

Rodge, I haven't had most of the problems you've had, I have however, noticed that the damn prices go up monthly. I'm Diego call them shorty, come to think of it.

Josh

Juice said...


I would have shot myself. Really.

But, at one point I was hired by PacTel (cellular) to work the only call center for the west coast. Then they became Cingular Wireless and the job became one of pure ulcer development for all the problems we encountered as agents. Long story short I learned some valuable lessons to employ as a consumer calling in to any customer service.

1. If you have a person (in the states) who isn't working out for you, hang-up, call back, get someone else, your odds improve greatly. Always works.

2. Once customer service answers, beat them to the punch with all the words you'd expect to hear from them. Begin with repeating their name, time of day greeting, how are you? courtesy. Then use that "I'm as happy a pig in the poke" voice to make your inquiry (disguised complaint). Works more than you think. And wish them a great day, weekend, etc.
2.b. Tell the rep' you just spoke to another agent who wasn't able to help you but stated they would note your account with the conversation and resolution. Ask them if it is there? NO? "Maybe you could help me then."

3. If you have a foreign country representative who is reading a manual of questions and answers you have already spoken, ask to speak to someone in the USA. Sometimes they put you on hold forever and you have to hang up; other times you are granted your request in a timely manner.

Customer service can be royal bitch, but hope this helps.

*HAPPY post THANKSGIVING*

Juice said...

p.s.
You could also say, "Just answer the fecking question!"

Anonymous said...

Work cell phone is on a Verizon plan thru the home office several states away. The local Verizon office has several times now all but told me to go piss up a rope when the home office tells me to go in there to upgrade the sumbitch. Their manager has to talk to my manager has to talk to the Verizon manager on the other end kinda crap. Evidently they like three-ways here. Whatever, they don't get the credit for it, so they could not care less. And, me being me, I've taken it as my personal crusade to make their miserable little lives even less enjoyable when they start that crap. As Juice says, kill 'em with kindness, but make sure they ain't breathing at the end.

Verizon, AT&T, Comcast, T-Mobile, it doesn't matter, they are all of them alike, just mugs and shits and nothing to be done about 'em but wait 'em out.

Sir H the (another upgrade due next month, Yay!) Comet

DougM said...

Hey,
it's still better'n the Obamacare website.

MAX Redline said...

But...Consumer Reports says Verizon's the best!

Rodger the Real King of France said...

STG - when I told MoSup about this call she said. "Well, we know had the Obamacare contract."

El Jefe said...

Might want to give Comcast a call (yeah, yeah, NBC owns, I know). Had the cable modem start giving WIFI fits and CINCHOUSE started getting agitated. So, naturally, I went out and bought a new one (thinking I'll save $$ on the rental). After two weeks CINCHOUSE tries to call the Royal Outlaws back in the UK. DING! The cable modem I bought has NO telephone line (goes to show you how often we use the land line - but still need it - longer story). Anywho, she heads to the Comcast office with the old one to swap out and when I got home from work she said that, lo and behold, they were actually quite helpful and friendly. After 15 minutes of set-up she was back on the horn flapping her jaw with her father.

Anonymous said...

El Jefe, sometimes the prudent thing to do is bow, scrape, raise arms high and back away slowly. Let the CINC handle it, somehow they know what to say, and who to say it to.
I know my limitations...
tomw

caplight45 said...

I have to deal with Sprint. Four refurb BBs in seven months. I give the first low level a shot. If they can't give me satisfaction I acknowledge their dilemma: my problem and my requested solution has exceeded their pay grade. I then ask to speak to their supervisor and go right up the chain. I have found that the words, "I'm sorry, that is not acceptable," has worked wonders. I have also discovered that they have to be able to document that you are "happy" with the outcome or it is a mark against the employee and their work group. Third, let them know that though I may take their solution I reserve the right to contact the CEO and let him know what has been going on. This is all while being mostly calm, polite and yet firm as in steely. I received a new BB Q10 at no cost to me for my trouble. In store has proved far less helpful in many cases.

TheOldMan said...

OTOH I've never had any problems with VZ during the 24 yrs I've been a customer. Started as GTE with POTS and ISDN, went to VZ with POTS and DSL, now have wireless as well. I know the cell number of the local tech so on the rare (1-2) times that I've had tech problems, I contacted him directly right after logging a service call with the CO so that he would know something was coming his way. BTW those of us who a bit color blind cannot always see the captcha code.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.