Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Seeing things Eye to Eye


Eyeball Update

#####
Sorry you posted this so late. I would ask the doc if you could get the dominant eye done in distant and the non dominant in near. Then you have both and don't need glasses for either.
# posted by  Blogger Meryl : 1/6/14, 9:42 AM in (CRAP)






I did read that Meryl, and it happened to conform with what I had myself pondered (I was  a US Army optician, so have some understanding of this stuff).   The more I thought about it, the more I knew it was the right way.  When the Ophthalmologist's office called to confirm surgery time, I asked whether it was possible at this late date to switch lenses from near sighters (being able  to see things up close), to far sighters (good distant vision)?  She was hesitant, and copped out with,  "ask the Dr if he has that lens when you show up for the surgery. "

I didn't,  but decided I would ask about getting my left eye fitted for distance. Which is what I did this morning at my post-up meeting.    This is where fate seems to have stepped in
if having the dominant eye far sighted is of any consequence,  as Blogger Meryl suggested.

I asked him if I could get a far sighted lens in my left eye; he looked at me quizzically.  I said, "Well here's what I'm thinking.  If I have perfect near vision in my right (dominant) rye, and perfect far sighted in the left, I won't need glasses since the brain will use the best combo given the circumstances."  He said, "But I gave you a far-sighted O.D. lens." 

Looks of panic exchanged betwixt him and assistant.

Wonderful, I said. 

He had in fact misunderstood me, or I him, about my selecting near-sighted;  but how serendipitous was that?

He said, "Well you're right.  There are people who ask for that, but some then hate it."

Why?

Because their  right and left eyes are a tad off register, with bad results.  Then I have to  go back and change lenses.  [BUT]  If you think that's something you want, let's try it.  For the next three weeks don't wear any glasses.  See how you adjust.

Which is what I shall do.  My left eye is currently a not bad 20/40, but clouding quickly.  A day after surgery my right eye is 20/25, and will improve.  If it works, and it already seems to be working, than I will not require glasses, and people won't call me four-eyed geek!  Not that anyone ever did.  That's what we called kids with glasses in grade school.  Then we beat them up.  I am so sorry Howard (the Coward).






12 comments:

Juice said...

Sounds like a plan!
Best of luck being able to try out mono-vision in advance of your next surgery.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

It's not mono-vision (if I understand you right).The eyes can compensate by delivering to the brain a clear, dimensional image and filtering out the fuzz. Right now, for instance, I'm reading the very small type face in the comment box with fine clarity, even though my new lens is far sighted, the blur isn't delivered by the brain. Even before the surgery, when my eye was very clouded, I read with two eyes, Our bodies are brilliant pieces of engineering, wot.

Juice said...

Per my understanding after working as an optician for an optometrist, mono vision meant one eye short sighted and the other far sighted. Although the brain is able to accommodate some people adapt and others do not (would-not could-not) and tend to experience dizziness or nausea.

This option would be my own should I choose to do Lasik surgery, think I'd want to try a pair of single lens glasses in a mono-vision prescription before choosing surgery, to see if my brain would adapt. Just say'n it sounds like you chose well. But hey, I am no eye doc. :)

iri said...

"Our bodies are brilliant pieces of engineering..."

I don't know...I'm hoping my next one lasts awhile longer....

Anonymous said...

If you were by chance getting halos from oncoming traffic at night, and your old prescription adjusted for this, the surgery may have fixed the one eye but you will still need the prescrip lense for the un-cut eye if you drive at night. I got caught on this on a five-day trip and had a hell of a time one evening.

Sir H the Comet

Virgil Rogers said...

In my old age I forget more than I remember...but didn't we once have a conversation where you told me that you once flew the H-21 "Flying Banana."

And now mentioning being an Army Optomatrist I ask now if you might have known about/worked at a place I worked 35 years ago...the USAARL lab at Ft. Rucker, Alabama?

Small world if you did!!!

(and good luck with your recovery)

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Virgil - It was the Hiller 23 at Fort Wolters WOC Flying Circus. As I have documented a few times, after taking off on a "military check ride," with the fuel line off, we reached, oh 20-30 feet before the line fuel ran out causing us to go straight down like a rock ... and there was tripping over a chair during my Mil review board hearing - all of which made the US ARMY believe I was somewhat reckless. They "transferred" me to Army Optical school at Fitzsimmons Army Hospital. So, nobody had to die because of me, although there's no telling how many became crosseyed trying to squint through my spectacles. All of this was detailed in my book, "I Coulda Been a U.S. Senator with Five Purple Hearts."

Cheesy said...

I've been wearing contact lenses Rx'ed that way for a couple years. Took a little getting used to, but works out better for me; the only problem with distance vision in the dominant eye is the front sight is a little blurry.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Here's the funny bit - I can read small print fine with the right eye (which is now seemingly 20/15). No difference between my God given left (20/30?) lens and this new one. WTF?
I love it.

Anonymous said...

"Our bodies are brilliant pieces of engineering..." -by Him.

Glad you're on the mend.

OC

molonlabe28 said...

Good luck with your efforts, Rodge.

Snackeater said...

Sir--I would highly recommend the mono-vision route. I've always had better than 20/20 vision but when faced with the prospect of having to wear cheaters, elected to get Lasik done on my non-shooting eye and made it my reading eye (I think it ended up at 20/40 or 20/35). Best thing I ever did. Can read very small print yet still have distance w/o glasses for either.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.