Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Dead Cardinal




Le cardinal est mort!


This Cardinal flew into our glass door and kilt himself.  We feel inordinately sad over it.


Longer Version



MoSup was in the kitchen, talking to her friend in Florida and watching the Juncos go nuts over the seed she  placed under the sandbox which, perched on 6" legs,  was somewhat protected from the snowfall. blizzard.  I paid scant attention until my sonar picked up a sudden change in conversational pitch.

"I'll call you back."

Momentarily she's in the den telling  me that a Cardinal flew into the glass door,  and was laying stunned in the snow.  I said that it was prolly dead, but no.  She said  he was trying to lift his head and weakly cheeping. 

By the time I got there, the creature's leg position made it obvious that the little  little guy was dead.  I scooped him up and brought him indoors.  MoSup tried CPR (without the breahting); too late.  I never held a Cardinal before.  Still warm, he was ridiculously light.  Like only feathers; no skeleton. Soft, like a woman's breast on a warm nigh -- I digress.

"Throw him over the railing so the other birds don't have to see him."
huh?
I don't want the other birds to know he's dead.  (She is a saint)

I opened the door and gave him a mighty chuck;  but he hit the frame of an old swing with an ahdible whack and dropped all akimbo onto the deck.  He was covered completely by snow in just minutes.  Her reaction?  "You beast!"   Like I did it on purpose.

I feel good that I'm still able to feel badly that this Cardinal will no longer entertain us, but he has dozens of pals to keep the show going.   Means I still have humanity (creatureaminty?) left, for innocent creatures anyway.  If Gov. O'Malley ran into my window, I'd revive him with pee.







8 comments:

Annoying Mike said...

I thought you could only do that if he was on fire? I guess that means you'd have to ignite him first.....

molonlabe28 said...

And they taste just like chicken.

He reminds me of my team, the St. Louis Cardinals, during the World Series.

Merrily said...

"I hope you washed your hands." My mother's reply to any sentence with "bird" in it.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Merrily, and I STG, the very first words out of MoSup's mouth.

iri said...

Too bad it wasn't one of those damn starlings.

Ole Phat Stu said...

We've put stick-on silhouettes of birds of prey on our windows/doors. It cuts the number of such crashes by factor 10 or more :-)

Anonymous said...

Yes. I also have heard of doing the bird-of-prey thing. The birds that fly into the window only see a reflection of the sky. Add a bird-of-prey and they will go elsewhere.
GrinfilledCelt

Anonymous said...

I think the cardinals see a rival in the reflection. We have some that have been pecking and flying into the passenger side mirrors and windows on our cars. We can see the dust from their feathers and within a few days the mirror and adjoining window and door are covered with bird crap. Only the male cardinals do this, no other birds.
Lt. Col. Gen. Tailgunner dick

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.