Thursday, February 13, 2014

Beans beans, the musical fruit

                        FOOD                                                                     



Tres Bueno Gusto!



Two, three times a month people ask me, "Hey Rodge- are you still doing the Meal in a Can thing? Indeed I am.

Yesterday I grabbed a can of red kidney beans, or so I thought, but instead had GOYA Coloradas Guisadas (Stewed Red Beans), accidentally purchased.  The best beans I ever ate in my life, canned or no.  Or, I was just in the mood for that taste.  Anyway, I wanted to do that again for lunch, but I don't have any more.  If not for two feet of snow on the ground,  I'd go buy 10 cans right now.  Instead I'll have to eat cereal.   I'm just saying.  Tres Bueno Gusto!



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

A whole can of beans and the house buttoned up tight? I pity the dog.
Tim

DougM said...

You can buy cases of canned stuff on Amazon.
Let UPS worry about the snow.
(Good way to build-up that emergency cache, too.)

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Doug- I invented that. Well, from Wal-Mart anyway.

John Venlet said...

Rodger, dark red kidney beans were a staple in my family (8 kids mom and dad had on a factory worker's salary).

Now, normally kids aren't real interested in dark red kidney beans for a meal, but, my mom was smart and knew how to get us kids to chow them down. Bacon.

Mom would fry up a pound of bacon, and warm up 5 to 8 cans of kidney beans, and chop up an onion. She'd then break the bacon up into spoon sized bits, and serve that along with the beans, the onions, and the grease drippings from the bacon pan.

We'd eat bowls of the stuff. My mom called it "brown beans and bacon," and all of us kids loved it when it was the night's meal. Still eat it frequently today. A regular feast of comfort food.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

I'll be trying that John ... maybe for dinner.

John Venlet said...

I hope you enjoy brown beans and bacon as much as we did and do, Rodger.

Darrell said...

We grew up on pinto beans. Po food, but darn, a pot of beans and cornbread to go with are comfort food to this day.

If you love beans, go to anasazibeandotcom and order some of their anasazi beans. While you're there get a jar or two of their bacon bean spice. Throw a pound of beans in the crockpot with a ham bone or such, 3 tbs of the spice, some onion and garlic if you like, maybe a few chile pequins or some chile crush, and let it run on low for about 8 hours. Heaven. Anasazi beans don't need soaking overnight, cook faster, taste better than pintos, and produce much less gas.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.