Saturday, March 29, 2014

Cut!


 
Applause Meter                             

 


 
There's no better way to prep slice (anything, really) for dehydration than with a mandolin.  Most things do best sliced at ¼ inch.  Even thickness means tasty, evenly dried product . This is the  Best Mandolin in the world, pound for dollar. Only problem—it's so sharp that I don't feel anything when it cuts a thumb off; only blood in the taters clues me.  That's why I bought these gloves (for about $13).  They are, I believe, made from depleted uranium and aerogel.  The only cuts I've incurred since buying them are when I don't put them on (the cut rate then is 87%).  One of the reasons I didn't always (I damned sure do now) use them was they'd get soaked with juices.  Later I discovered that all I had to do was wash my hands (with them on), and let them dry.  But, and this is what this post is aboutthis is genius.  Look at the picture.  Disposable glove barrier.  I invented that. 
You're welcome. 

7 comments:

Jess said...

Those gloves remind me of some I saw a gal using in a barbecue restaurant, although hers were probably really expensive.

As far as I could tell, the gloves were made of small stainless steel rings, just like shark suits.

DougM said...

Those the same gloved OJ used?

USMC2841 said...

You are now more deserving of the Nobel Peace Prize than the last 5 winners. Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

I used to work in a meat packing plant. We had our choice of kevlar gloves, which is pictured, or chain mail gloves, which is what jess is describing. Both are amazing.

MikeC

Mike C said...

HAHA!!!

"the cut rate then is 87%"

On the plus side, with your fingertips cut off, you can plan the perfect crime!

Unknown said...

This is probably made of Kevlar fibers. Have used them a lot
in an industrial setting where razor knifes are used a lot.

My bosses were a little clueless when they started to require
them. 99+ times out of 100, it is the hand not using the knife
that gets injured. Be sure to protect that hand even if you do
not wear both gloves.

Anonymous said...

Better off getting some chain mail butcher gloves. Stainless steel mesh. Bit more expensive but it also gives you the added benefit of adding grip.

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Mesh-Hand-Glove/dp/B000NNT2EY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1396291926&sr=8-2&keywords=chain+mail+glove

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.