Sunday, May 25, 2014

Garlic



I can chop a chiffonade rather handily, and I can flip stuff in a skillet; but mincing garlic?  Television chefs throw a little salt on a butcher's block, spank a clove once with the back of the knife, and with a half dozen wrist actions grind that boy into a nice mince.  But when I do it the clove is likely to squirt out and fly off the block, and after several chops it still hasn't been reduced to something that can be ground in the salt.  I know what you're saying. Garlic Press.

No. 

I've tried several garlic presses and they all blow. Just recently America's Test Kitchen  compared garlic presses and the best  cost c. $30. Get real.   On Friday I was making roasted Brussels sprouts.  When it came to the garlic mincing I picked up my microplane and HFS!  Perfect.  Why did it take me so long to figure out something so obviously simple?  In case you haven't, now you know.  You're welcome.

Wait. Now I've got to try this one in case I want to show off.  But the micro plane is still faster, and better.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry boos, but this is the easiest and fastest Garlic Mincer going.

At Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/eFashion-No-Touch-Garlic-garlic-Peeler/dp/B009YWLZCW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401033185&sr=8-1&keywords=garlic+pro

I found it at a Flea Market and the Vendor wanted $3.00. I offered him #2.00 and he took it.

BTW the Peeler that comes with it sucks, but I already have a better one already.

If you are doing loads of Garlic this is the best method for Peeling ever.

You're welcome!

Geo

Anonymous said...



Best method for Peeling for loads of Garlic. Works great. Forgot the link above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc7w_PGSt9Y

Geo

iri said...

Already minced and in a jar near the produce section. You're all welcome.

Cheesy said...

I use the "Goodfellas" method of paper-thin garlic slices with a razor blade.
Works great.

Leonard Jones said...

As a former restaurant cook, I
can state that the knife method
works just fine. To prevent the
clove from going ballistic, all
you have to do slice it in half
and smack the blade.

It works best with thin blade
French knives either 8 or 10 inch
of good quality.


drew458 said...

The nice part about the microplane method is that you don't lose any garlic juice to the chopping board. Also, you get exactly as much garlic as you need, and no more. (as if there's such a thing as too much garlic).
I'd go with the medium to medium-fine grate, so you actually get some bits.

They work great on fresh ginger too.

Anonymous said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQhBfRDd6GM

Pawpaw said...

Oh, please. They sell minced garlic in jars at the grocers. Packed in oil, the oil is simply wonderful for sauteeing.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.