Wednesday, January 07, 2015

Geezer Think









As for me, I kinda liked life before cellfones and all that the internet brings.  I liked radio 'cause it made you use your imagination, and I liked books 'cause it was just your mind exploring someone else's structured thoughts, not some poorly thought out babble with knee-jerk comments on a website or some pundit telling you how you should interpret what you're looking at or listening to.

My initial thought upon seeing the 'toon was that it'd be like me asking my grandmother what life was like before the party line.  High tech in her generation was electric lights, automobiles, and manual typewriters.  A mouse was a furry little creature that lived in the walls, and a crash was what happened when you lost control of your car.  Booting up was the procedure of putting rubber shoes on before going outside in rotten weather.  Ron Metziger Hat Dance


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It boggles the mind. As a child, I remember a neighbor that heated with coal. I remember the fascination of seeing a color TV the first time. Outhouses. The treat of take out. When I got to go up on stage and get my classroom's new flag. All of this in the early 60s in the teeming metropolis of Sioux City.
Tim

Anonymous said...

Tim - boggles the mind indeed.
I remember the coal truck dumping loads of anthracite curbside, pulling away, and leaving an old black man to shovel and wheelbarrow the coal to our coal chute, the pile of shiny black coal in the bin on our basement floor, me opening the fire door on the asbestos wrapped monster and throwing in a shovelful or two, and the clang the cast iron door made when I closed it.
Along with that were clankng cast iron steam radiators with the little nickel plated safety valves, banking the fire so it would last the night, and shaking the grate and hauling the clinkers to the curb, and ice frozen on the inside of the windows on a cold morning.
We did have indoor plumbing though. Thank goodness for that.
Lt. Col. Gen. Tailgunner dick

Anonymous said...

At the risk of quoting Homer Simpson, "they have the internet on computers now."

I wonder how many people under age 30 have ever seen a carburator, or an automobile without air conditioning.

Sir H the Comet

David said...

There are kids graduating from high school (maybe even college) this year whose parents were not alive when the Beatles broke up...

TimO said...

In the 70s my family visited some relatives just outside Parkerburg WVA. They had electricity but heated their house with a huge coal fireplace and stoves. Kitchen stove was coal burning and they had a 2-place up heated outhouse. They used coal because it was free, there was a 2foot wide seam coming out of the ground in back of the house and all they had to do was scoop it up.

Anonymous said...

Auntie's new firewood stove that had
four stove top burners and heated
the whole house.

Motorcycle with a starter motor!

The polio vaccine.

Frisco Scooter Trash

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.