Thursday, October 12, 2006

Gepahardt and reid

Pigs going to market
Harry Reid's million-dollar real estate imbroglio reminded me of another very under reported real estate transaction, by another Democrat big shot - Rep. Richard Gephardt.  His ethics committee hearings were alive during the same period that Newt Gingrich was being pilloried for, what turned out to be, nothing. Not only was Gephardt's transgression barely reported, it's almost impossible to find any mention of it now. I spent the better part of three hours looking for it, my original posts on it having been deleted by FreeRepublic. This is the single article I could find.
Ethics Absentees

The networks continue to ignore ethics complaints against Democratic leaders of the House of Representatives. In early February, the networks saw no need for a story when Rep. Jennifer Dunn (R-Wash.) filed a complaint with the House ethics committee suggesting House Minority Leader Richard Gephardt may have evaded capital gains taxes on a land swap.

The February 23 Washington Times reported that Gephardt dumped his share of ownership of the vacation home on North Carolina's Outer Banks. George Archibald wrote that Gephardt, who is an avid opponent of capital gains tax cuts, "claimed for financial-disclosure purposes that his condo was not a rental property the year he sold it for $183,000. He simultaneously claimed it as a rental property for tax purposes to escape capital gains taxes of about $17,000 in 1991." Archibald struck again with a March 6 piece in the Washington Times noting that Rep. Bob Barr (R-Ga.) formally requested the Justice Department undertake a criminal probe of Gephardt's tax situation. Neither story piqued the networks' curiosity.

On March 6, the conservative Landmark Legal Foundation filed a complaint against House MinorityWhip David Bonior, the ethical scold of Speaker Newt Gingrich, for misusing his congressional staff to write a 1984 book on government time. The networks didn't cover that either. - From the March 1996 MediaWatch


The Virginia district attorney declined to prosecute Geppy, but I was determined to find out the result of his Ethics hearing, there being not a word reported. I spent hours on one of those off-Broadway telnet things that carried government records back then (circa 1997). I finally contacted a woman who had access to House records I was looking for, but she informed me the Gephardt matter was sealed. She did, however, suggest that I contact Rep. Dunn directly. I did. What I got back was a cursory response from Dunn's office, but it did include this bit of information. The Ethics committee had reprimanded (or rebuked?) Rep Gephardt, for "lying to the committee on three separate occasions" about his transaction.

If you didn't read the post on FreeRepublic, you didn't know about that until right now. Inconvenient truths about democrats were just not reported then, as now, unless they somehow gained "traction." I don't think Mr. Reid will be quite so lucky today, what with his "culture of corruption," charge out there - a big fat yellow target for anyone to shoot at. I'll do my small part to make sure he doesn't. Did I mention he took bribes from Abramoff too? He did.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Rodger- that picture reminds me- I just got this awesome cookbook with all kinds of BBQ rubs and sauce recipes! YUM!

TFV

Rodger the Real King of France said...

title??

BTW, one of the things I love about our grill is the auto ignition always works. But - recently the rotisserie igniter failed, so I used a match until I remembered ... it uses a AA battery. I unscrewed the thing, replaced the battery, and Voila! USA!

Anonymous said...

Hey Rodger- your article reminded me of how deep the dems transgressions have gone over-looked. It's only about six years since I started my recovery from 32 f*cking years of blind obedience to the media and their lies by omission (actually I started waking up from my slumber at 22 years, on the Korean DMZ. It was only at 32 that I became enraged at my former stupidity). Recovering from a youth of a Dr. Spock type of raising/education only makes me more angry when you wake-the-f*ck up. Trust me. The more I realize I over looked/failed to observe, the more I'm pissed-the-f*ck off!

Anonymous said...

Make that "how long the dems transgressions have gone over-looked"
and
Make that "Angry when I woke the f*ck up"

-Dang, a few beers and I'm out of control..

Anonymous said...

Roger I have a Vermont Casting grill and the auto igniter always works. It also has the best temp contol I have ever seen and the cooking grid for steaks are out of this world.

Anonymous said...

I've done some digging too and found something very scarey. The commenter root@localhost.localdomain seems to be posting from my very own computer! I like what he says, but how is he getting in here when all my doors are locked?

Anonymous said...

Since we're sorta off topic already, the best BBQ recipe book eva is "John Willingham's World Champion Bar-B-q". His food totally changed the way I Q'd when he was at the Cleveland Rib Burn Off. There's also recipes for side dishes, desserts, rubs, etc. Every single one I tried (including the bacon/peanut butter/stuff sammiches) were all excellent.

Anonymous said...

Back to the subject at hand, it's worth remembering that Geppy used that North Carolina vacation home to entertain lobbyists on weekend trips with a cash quid pro quo, i.e. if you want to spend a weekend with Geppy at his Bed & Breakfast, pony up the dough.

Casca

Anonymous said...

This looks like what you were looking for. Originally from Insight: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1571/is_n33_v11/ai_17248505

Casca

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Great work Casca, you get another star for that.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.