Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Dimes and posters

Huck Luck
Hucker and Mrs. Hucker had New Years dinner with us last night (spareribs), and we ate in the Christmas tree room since it all's coming down sometime in the next few months. For entertainment - and I am not making this up - we watched Roomba clean the room.  They were there when Mother Superior opened it, and like everyone else thought "folly," but seeing is believing.  I'm pretty sure we will have a grand-Roomba pretty soon.  Don't laugh at the personification ... L. Rive Gauche sent me this e-mail:

Rodger,
If you ever wanted to (I can't believe I'm going to say this) *dress*  your Roomba, here's the place to go:
<http://www.myroombud.com/buy.html>

Can you believe it?  But, hey, I'm taking Roomba for a walk in just a bit, so it does tend to insinuate itself into the family.  Here's another rather amazing thing.  Hucker went to the bank to get some change, and when he cracked open a roll of dimes it contained stuff he didn't recognize.  Like real silver dimes - that look like this
          Mercury Dime
. He found one at auction at $1500, but when I just looked they were going for, from $2 to $380 depending on the mint.  Anyway, he has 50 of them. This is the same kid I gave my baseball card collection to, and he immediately discovered that he now owned several cards worth hundred's of dollars (I had 7  Joe Garagiola Topps rookie cards alone that were worth about $350 each ($479.99 today). I took him to Len Bias' last home game where they handed out full size posters of  perhaps Maryland's greatest player, who would die of a drug overdose just a few weeks later. The poster is signed. That item is so rare, I've never seen one for sale. The stinker. 

Later I'll give you the recipe for the best 1 hour spareribs you will ever taste, maybe. 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn he is lucky. The spare ribs sound good to.

BlogDog said...

I use L. Rive Gauche as my nom de non BlogDog e-mail.
It's a pun.

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the time I walked into the local grocery chain store, and they had Glenmorangie on sale for 9.99 a bottle. I pointed out to the sales gal that this was an obvious mistake. She insisted that the price was right. I sent her back to stock to bring out all she had, and went home with a case and a half of single malt for thirty cents on the dollar. About a month later, it was Mumm's 2000 vintage Cordon Rouge, same deal.

Anonymous said...

BTW Rog, bring on the spare rib recipe.

Casca

Anonymous said...

I'm with Casca-- don't torment us like that!

TFV

Rodger the Real King of France said...

HERE

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Thanks BlogDod, I knew that but was confused - my normal state lately.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Anon, I was in Giant Food one day, and they had - 1- 1¼ pound frozen lobster tails for 1.19 each. I bought all they had, and went to several other area Giant stores and got theirs too. Must have had 60 lobster tails jammed into the freezer. Next day they were repriced.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.