Wednesday, January 17, 2007

New Food Saver

Stuff That Works
Food Saver
One of my very early "Stuff That Works" posts was on the Food Saver (Rating the Food Saver®).  For Christmas this year Mother Superior gave me a new one, the Food Saver V2840. Oh, the old one still worked, but I still had the same gripes about it that I had 6 years ago.  Primarily, there was no manual seal button.  At the time I wanted that feature because, often times, the damn thing had sucked the bag clean dry of air, but wouldn't seal, but there is another benefit,  With this guy I can seal before the machine normally would.  Why would I want to do that?  I have no idea, but here's an example.

Here I've sealed some Tostitos.  I did it by anticipating when the ''big suck'' was about to become a ''big crush,'' and hit the seal button. Had I tried this with the old Food saver they'd have looked like bread crumbs
          I give these to the birds.
Another feature I really like is the cutting blade.  Before, I had to use scissors, and never could cut a straight line. 

Before the Food Saver, I had a Seal-a-Meal.  It sucked big time, in the bad way, but did have bag storage and cutter, so it took the Tillia people a long time to catch on to this idea.

As an aside, before the Seal-a-Meal, I was one of those people who tried to suck the air out of baggies with a straw.  STG.

The Food Saver is a thing that works, but someone in your house has to use it.  In our house, I'm that guy.  I guess I get a kick out of anything that uses electricity, and works.  This works. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cheated this time and bought the bags instead of the roll. The jury is still deliberating.

Anonymous said...

I think they are missing the boat in a way. Being a kinda survival guy I think they should make some bags in some really small sizes. I refresh my emergency kits as I best can but it sure would be nice to package things like 2 aspirin.

I also have a big question for the emergency medical kit people. Just exactly why is there no midol in there?

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.