Sunday, March 18, 2007

We should be scared stiff

Visionary Vladimir Putin is arming to the teeth to keep Stanford Nobel laureates from crashing the paradise that is Siberia

hillarity ensues


In his book The Weather Makers, Tim Flannery puts aside his essential optimism for long enough to write: "If humans pursue a business-as-usual course for the first half of this century, I believe the collapse of civilisation due to climate change becomes inevitable. - 'We should be scared stiff''
"I think people forget that the whole world is going to be affected," he goes on. "Climate change will affect China and the US." Indeed, Lovelock envisages that the Chinese people will press to live in a newly lush Siberia before the century is out. "No wonder Putin is arming like mad. In fact, Putin is one of the more far-sighted of global leaders." In the US, even now, distinguished academics are contemplating moving north, Lovelock says. "I gave a talk at Stanford [the Californian Ivy League university] a few months ago. Professors, including Nobel prize winners, were coming up to me asking where in Canada they should buy real estate because they believed me when I said much of the US will be uninhabitable."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Collapse of civilization sounds fine with me considering the side with the guns wins*. Besides, the gun-owners I know are a pretty resourceful lot. We'd have time for a "no bag limit" week of Hippy Hunting, and still have electricity and Satellite TV on before the end of the month.

USA-UAS-USA!!

--Jack



*As an aside, my liberal, gun-hating neighbor [wife has a Million-Mom-March bumper sticker] asked me if I had a full stash of earthquake/disaster supplies including food, water and cash. I told him "nope, not a thing." He was astonished and asked "then how do you plan to survive if the power goes out for a week?" I told him "You've got the supplies. I have guns. I'll take what I need" and just smiled. He laughed nervously and said something about needing to get back to his lawn chores...

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.