Sunday, March 18, 2007

Whitey Forbes

Yesterday

MoSup's Uncle Whitey died in Virgina Beach so we drove down to the funeral yesterday.  Whitey Forbes was perhaps the nicest all-around man not my father that I ever met.  MoSup so admired their family that she tried molding me into him, with limited success.  He coached his kids in Little League, so she signed me up to coach ours in baseball, which I had at least played, and basketball, which I never played. It all worked out somehow, and the happiest times of my life were spent coaching my kids the best I could. 

So, even though the services were scheduled for 3:00, and Maryland tipped off with Butler at 3:20, the choice was easy.  I went.

Afterwards we returned to the house for some grub. This was where I returned MoSup  on weekends while we were dating.  In order to sign out from nursing school she needed a "sponsor," and  Whitey and Mary Ellen were hers.  They allowed her to stay out until 1 AM.  The first time I was introduced to them, one of their precocious sons came right out and asked "are you going to marry her?"  Red faces all around.  I loaded up a plate with chicken, cole slaw, beans and crab salad and went out to the car where I'd found a radio station carrying the game. 
Fast forward to the final minute. DJ cutting to the hole catches the ball and gets blocked by a Butler player who was clearly late to the spot. Offensive foul, Maryland. What? Were we playing Duke? How can a professional official make a call like that? Ruin a team’s season on such a terrible call? Whoever that guy is, he should be ashamed of himself. If he happens to live in the Greater Chicago area, I wouldn’t be surprised if he discovers his house TP’d.
The officiating sounded questionable, but then it always does when your team is playing.  The announcer's incredulity over that sequence however led me to believe that  we'd been shafted.  Still, the Terps played like they had in January, not February.  Missed what? 9 of 17 free throws.  Jeremy Gold, who had a similar experience to my own says it better than I.

Whitey wouldn't have cared.  For him the only meaningful post season tournament was the ACC's.  He lived to see UVA break his heart yet again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what can one say about this...

thanks for the story.

RIP

sorry about the TERPS.

impressive season for them.

Anonymous said...

Condolences on your loss Rodg, Uncle Whitey sounds like good people. Also sorry for the Terps demise: I was looking forward to a certain matchup (although the Bucks barely squeaked in).

Anonymous said...

Roger sorry for the loss of your good friend. I have found that true good friends are very hard to come by. If it is any consolation the VOLS broke UVA's heart today and eliminated them next victim Ohio.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.