Sunday, November 11, 2007

A Letter from Dad

Men At War
And those who also serve

c. 1944
My instinct is to publish every one of these Reagan stories, but of course I can't.  I don't think RR will mind that I did this one, though.

Dear Son:

I wish I had the power to write
The thoughts wedged in my heart tonight
As I sit here watching that small star
And wondering where and how you are.
You know, Son, it's a funny thing
How close a war can really bring
A Father, who for years with pride
Has kept emotions deep inside.
I'm sorry, Son, when you were small
I let reserve build up that wall;
I told you real men never cried,
And it was Mom who always dried
Your tears and smoothed your hurts away
So that you soon went back to play.
But, Son, deep down within my heart
I longed to have some little part
In drying that small-tear stained face
But we were men - men don't embrace
And suddenly I found my Son
A full grown man, with childhood done.
Tonight you're far across the sea,
Fighting a war for men like me.
Well, somehow pride and what is right
Have each changed places here tonight.
I find my eyes won't stay quite dry
And that men sometimes really cry.
And if we stood here, face to face
I'm sure, my Son, we would embrace.
Son, dads are quite a funny lot,
And if I've failed you on some spot
It's not because I loved you less
But just this cussed manliness.
And if I had the power to write
The thoughts wedged in my heart tonight,
The words would ring out loud and true,
I'm proud, my Son, yes proud of you..

He signed it "Dad"and walked down to the corner and dropped it in the mailbox.  As he returned home and reached his own doorstep he was handed the war department telegram, the one that began with the fateful words "We regret to inform you."

I'm glad that I can believe his son knew he had written that letter.

Ronald Reagan, "Stories in His Own Hand"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure they also share the embraces they neglected before. The more I learn of that man the more I love him. He was truly one of the greatest men of our time.

MitchM

Anonymous said...

I have that Reagan book. He was such an incredible man. I don't remember that particular passage, I might have to read it again. I've been slowing savoring "The Reagan Diaries", it's a bit drier than the on you quoted from. None the less, everything you read about by this man shows his great intelligence and compassion. The greasespot that was president in the 90s can't hold a candle to Ronald Reagan and I am so glad to have been fully aware of something great occuring in the 80s when he was president.
MM

Rodger the Real King of France said...

I rank Reagan as our 2nd greatest president, after Washington (who set the proper course).

Ride Fast said...

Damn, that's sad.

Anonymous said...

Rodger - shamelessly stolen (and acknowledged as much) with a link back at Rantburg.com. Great post. I have a son in the Army, and it really meant a lot, thx
Frank G

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Glad you liked it as much as I, Frank.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.