Wednesday, March 12, 2008

I'm so happy, I'm so happy and witty and gay - wtf?

USA UAS USA



After David Mamet (below) I came across this.  I call it dessert.


Democrats on Prozac
Growing up in America in the seventies and eighties, I really had no concept of geography or international relations. My public and private school educations managed to avoid the whole concept of the world outside of the United States, with the exception of England and the Soviet Union. I was aware that France and Canada existed, to be fair, and I had heard of Mexico.

 However, I was taught about other things, like the coming Ice Age, recycling, and how overpopulation would have so outstripped the food supply by the year 2000 that most people would be retarded due to malnutrition. Somehow, the teachers managed to sneak basic arithmetic and a reading list into the curriculum mandated by the government and assisted by the teachers's [sic] union, so I grew up a functional citizen. My extracurricular interests included reading, girls and cars. I continued through college, marriage, running a business, fatherhood, divorce and remarriage, blissfully ignorant of the larger context of things.

It wasn't until 9/11 that I started to wake up to the world of geopolitics.911attack.jpg The morning of 9/11 I received a call from my stepfather saying,

"They've flown a plane into the World Trade Center."


Since I was running a business from a desk, and had an internet connection, I started to read. I went to the Drudge Report site, and was able to access and read every newspaper's analysis of events. After about a week, I started to notice that different papers had different viewpoints. In some cases, widely divergent opinions were put forth as the truth. What was this? Wasn't the news objective?

My first lesson was that the news is far from objective. I found myself reading the Wall Street Journal and nodding my head in agreement. I could follow the logic. It made sense and bore a relation to how reality worked in my experience. When I read the New York Times I found my head spinning. The logic didn't hold and the premises were bizarre. The conclusions were twisted versions of reality.

I gradually came to realize I was a Republican. I found myself a partisan, not because my parents or my University professors indoctrinated me, but because what the crazy Right Wingers were saying made sense.

Did you get this far? 

I tried to talk to my friends and family about all of this, and some of them understood what I was saying. These were the same happy and well-adjusted Republicans as above. They did not engage in name-calling, character assassination, lying or complaining, and none of them were on Prozac. Some people, though, did not understand, and I found myself under withering fire from people I loved, who just could not understand how I could be so wrong, and tried their best to correct my thinking.

Their attempts at correction, however, all failed, largely because they sounded the same and used the same rhetorical techniques. I soon learned of the concept of "talking points."

Go back then.  It's the ultimate validation of your own experience and conclusions.   It's Payoff! 

By the way, Prozac isn't supposed to make you feel good, per se.  It's supposed to temper mood swings.  Cut out the spikes that make you want to nuke Vermont, and stuff. Prozac, Ritalin, red whiskey and a good woman make you feel good.

Okay, no more long stuff from me today.  You're welcome.  

3 comments:

rElYinG oN pRoZac said...

recant recant

Rodger the Real King of France said...

You're (somewhat) right. I added "Prozac, Ritalin, red whiskey and a good woman make you feel good. "

Juice said...

"...the self-satisfied little smirks, the knowing looks and the bumper stickers." Oh! My stomach turns indeed.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.