Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Feeling Good All Over

David Mamet: Why I Am No Longer a 'Brain-Dead Liberal'


It bothers me when people I otherwise admire for their talent go and ruin it by broadcasting liberal political views, and in the process choke all the joy from the thing.  The notion that one person can, at once, be brilliant and an idiot doesn't compute, so I run from it.  Al Franken is a prime example. While David Mamet never quite grabbed me,  I hated Glengarry Glen Ross for example, his word smithing and intellectual abilities were always evident.  No more so than in this Village Voice polemic; his renouncement of Liberalism.

As a child of the '60s, I accepted as an article of faith that government is corrupt, that business is exploitative, and that people are generally good at heart.

These cherished precepts had, over the years, become ingrained as increasingly impracticable prejudices. Why do I say impracticable? Because although I still held these beliefs, I no longer applied them in my life. How do I know? My wife informed me. We were riding along and listening to NPR. I felt my facial muscles tightening, and the words beginning to form in my mind: Shut the fuck up. "?" she prompted. And her terse, elegant summation, as always, awakened me to a deeper truth: I had been listening to NPR and reading various organs of national opinion for years, wonder and rage contending for pride of place. Further: I found I had been—rather charmingly, I thought—referring to myself for years as "a brain-dead liberal," and to NPR as "National Palestinian Radio."

This is, to me, the synthesis of this worldview with which I now found myself disenchanted: that everything is always wrong.

What will happen, I predict, is that all the "Hollywooders" who worshiped at his altar yesterday, will of a sudden conclude Mamet has experienced brainal infarct, and stop reading when they hit my exampled . Too bad, because the ensuing dialectic could change everything for the better, given that his natural audience are much responsible for the current state of things.  Still, I feel phuking GREAT!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay whatever this means. It was almost like trying to understand Whitewater.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

It means I'm going back to working on transmissions, I guess. :)

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.