Thursday, April 24, 2008

In the lock box ... just like Social Security




Here's an interesting deal.  A year or so ago I bought a program called Instant Lock. Here's some FAQ's
Can anyone else access to my folders in Safe Mode, DOS Mode or by a bootable disk?

Absolutely NO. Not only that:

Even if someone steals your notebook, your Flash disk or Rewritable CD, they will not be able to reach your files. They will stay secure and totally invisible. Don't worry.

- What if someone uninstalls the software ?

No way! Only you can uninstall Instant Lock with your password.

- What if someone deletes the program folder manually?

No problem, deleting program's folders will not result with data loss neither. Just reinstall it with same password. Installation location does not mater at all. You do not have to remember that.

The reason I'm telling you this is, after I installed it, and locked away some files,  I had an unrelated near fatal disk crash.  Later, after things were straightened out, I went to open the files.  Nada.  "Incorrect Password   Incorrect Password   Incorrect Password   Incorrect Password   Incorrect Password  .  Crap.  I said the file was corrupted.  They said I forgot the password,  Sorry. So, I lost everything in that little lock box,  which wasn't earth shattering since they were only ... diary entires.  But wait.  Skip- forward to Monday last.

 My disk was getting pretty tightly packed, and I was looking to delete stuff (The next day I bought the Maxtor I talk about just below). I used a program called WinDirStat, that catalogs every file on the disk, and renders them into colored boxes.  The bigger the file, the bigger the box.  So, that big fat red one (right) tells me that here is a big fat file of stuff that I may want to resize, or delete.  I clicked  on it and guess what?  That's right.  Those encrypted files, that not even the CIA can crack, were right there.  I couldn't believe it,  Not only were they listed, they  were usable.  I clicked on one diary entry, and whap, Media Player opened, and there's Paris Hilton in some kind of eerie green light.  What the heck was that?  Anyway, everything was  there. 

I immediately dashed off an e-mail to Instant-Lock, apprising them of the situation.  I really thought  they would be calling me in the middle of the night to get the details,  Nope.  Here we are, Thursday evening, and not even an e-mail response.  Screw 'em.  I wasn't trying to get a refund, just doing a post-Beta Beta for them.  So now, I'll just put this whole thing out there.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh boy...I googled instant lock review, here's a link that came up with: http://tinyurl.com/62xj7e
Gotta be real careful with software from the small vendors.

oy vey ole'

Anonymous said...

If you really want to lock-down those Paris Hilton videos, check out TrueCrypt. It's open-source and completely free to use.

Anonymous said...

Between this and the Maxtor thing, the lesson is clear: you should do your research before buying.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

So far, I'm thinking this Maxtor deal is the greatest thing since night baseball, and None of this was known about Lock Down when I bought it. But, yes, I can be - no, make that I am - impulsive.

El Jefe said...

As far as 'Administrator Programs' are concerned I use HiRen quite often. It has a large number of utilities that can get you out of a tight spot.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Rodger,
I installed and used this to access and transfer my 2007 banking files locked up using TruCrypt.

I somehow had lost the means to access them and was not even able to delete the file until now. Of course, I had to send the file to the recycle bin using delete, not permanent delete and then dragging it out of the recycle bin to another folder. Then I did a permanent delete of the empty encrypted file folder.
rw4site

Anonymous said...

Rodger, RE: your comments about look up then buy, in a related thought; "Pillage, THEN burn." Just thought you might want a reminder.

Kelly

Rodger the Real King of France said...

As you can tell from the comments comment, I like it. :)

pdwalker said...

Here's a second vote for TrueCrypt if you need to secure something on your disk.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.