Friday, September 12, 2008

Howard Zinn, et al

The Damon Identity

My kid was home from college for Christmas, and I picked him up at the airport. We were driving home when he, knowing my love for American history, a subject he'd never showed much passion for, told me about the wonderful history course he was taking.  That being about the only subject I ever received grades above a gentleman's C in, I was engaged!  "Wonderful. What makes it so great?"  My remembrance is that his example was, "Did you know that Paul Revere never said "The British are Coming?"

Okay, iconoclasm is a natural thing for yoots wishing to establish independence  from mom and dad.  Sort of like urinating to mark their territory. After unpacking his suitcase, he presented me with his text book, A People’s History of the United States, by Howard Zinn.  Never heard of it.  My primary college textbook was The Oxford History of the American People by Samuel Eliot Morison, but time marches on.

It took me maybe 10 minutes to recognize People's History as the most vile distortion of America history I could possibly imagine.  A Father Knows Best
The Andersons
dad would have counseled, "Bud, let's discuss some of what this fellow Zinn has written."  Unfortunately, I'm more of the Archie Bunker type. "You don't believe this horses--t, do you- you meathead?" Which, of course, ended the discussion. 

I had already decided to do a treatment on Zinn (not my first) last night, after reading this.

BERLIN -- Historian Howard Zinn's "A People's History of the United States” is being adapted into a feature documentary.

Called "The People Speak,” the documentary will feature dramatic readings and live musical performances from the likes of Josh Brolin, Viggo Mortensen, David Strathairn, Marisa Tomei Jasmine Guy, John Legend, Q'Orianka Kilcher, Michael Ealy and Kerry Washington.

Four performances in Boston at Emerson's Cutler Majestic Theater have already been shot and a planned spring shoot will have Matt Damon, Sean Penn, Eddie Vedder and Steve Earle, among others.
g
The book, first published in 1980, presents American history through a bottoms up approach, focusing on voices seldom heard in history books such as defiant Indians, mutinous soldiers, striking workers, and rebellious women.

Damon, surprise, attended, but did not graduate from Harvard. Prep years were spent at Cambridge Rindge and Latin School in Cambridge.  That pretty much accounts for Damon's politics, eh wot?  Oh, guess who narrates Zinn's audio book of People's History?  Yup.  Matt Damon. 

But I'm rambling.  Having already decided to do the Zinn-Damon deal, I just watched this Fox and Friends segment, featuring history professor Larry Schweikart discussing his book, 48 Liberal Lies About American History. (Video at top.)  If this interests you, Schweikart's interview by Front Page may be read here.

FP: In your book you discuss how the KKK is the most common 20th century image in many American history books. Your thoughts?

We are about to be deluged with 10,000 Obamas, America.





FP: In your book you discuss how the KKK is the most common 20th century image in many American history books. Your thoughts?

10 comments:

Juice said...

"A People's .... " anything in today's America smacks of truth -and legitimate research- not required. AKA single party state, as in "what Libs design for America."
As a parent I (too) could share a story, "What Liberal Ed did to our Son." bleh

Thud said...

does being deluged by 10000 obamas count as a shitstorm?

Anonymous said...

My uber-liberal college American History Prof would end every lecture about the Founding Fathers and other great Americans with this statement: "...and he/she died from third stage syphilis". I failed that class because, in the words of our liberal friends, I spoke truth to power. I took the class later with a different professor (at a different university) and aced it.

SFAOV Sgsaur

Rodger the Real King of France said...

I wish you'd name that professor. They, all of them, need to be identified publicly.

Anonymous said...

Matt Damon, Sean Penn and Steve Earle. The three castrati of partisan politics and Vedder ain't looking much better these days, either. Thanks but I'll pass on this agitprop. - Vice Sgt Boone.

Anonymous said...

Doesn't matter any more, Roger. He died a long time ago. He's now roasting with his dead commie heroes Marx, Lenin, Trotsky & Mao, whom he always gave a pass in his comparisons to our Founding Fathers because they were working "for the betterment of the masses". Spit.

SFAOV Sgsaur

Anonymous said...

When my son's 8th grade class studied the Constitution and Bill of Rights, guess which amendment wasn't posted on the wall? Oh, you had the same teacher?
OldeForce

Anonymous said...

I swear, I read the same Morison, identical cover, way back when.

Zinn is poison. From an Amazon review, about his play " Marx in Soho " :

In the end, to describe this work as merely pathetic is to waste words by stating the obvious. This is a screed for ingrates and malcontents only. For everyone else, I am sure you can think of something better to do.

mperkins said...

Quote: Doesn't matter any more, Roger. He died a long time ago. He's now roasting with his dead commie heroes Marx, Lenin, Trotsky & Mao, whom he always gave a pass in his comparisons to our Founding Fathers because they were working "for the betterment of the masses".

Did he die of 3rd stage syphilis? :)

I am going through the archives as I only discovered the site last year.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

mperkins - see THIS

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.