Friday, April 03, 2009

Sleep

ZZZZzzzzELIG
On the subject of sleeping, let's talk about Woody Allen's 1983 movie Zelig.
Fictional documentary about the life of human chameleon Leonard Zelig, a man who becomes a celebrity in the 1920s due to his ability to look and act like whoever is around him. Clever editing places Zelig in real newsreel footage of Woodrow Wilson, Babe Ruth, and others
I've been fascinated by this movie since first renting it on VHS, c. 1984.  The premise is compelling.  The process by which Allen's Zelig is insinuated into historic film footage is high art, even today.  The problem was - is-, I fall asleep every time I watch it.  When it's appeared on HBO or Showtime in the intervening years,  I watch, and fall asleep.  This happened so many times that I became aware of it.  I had the same problem reading the book Trinity, by Leon Uris. Everyone I know said it was a "can't put it downer," but for me it was "I can't get past chapter three without dozing off. "   But back to Zelig.

A few days ago Zelig was again on one of the movie channels - mid day, mind you - so I started watching.  Aware of my problem, I recorded as I watched. Next thing you know I'm asleep. That night I figured to put Zelig to good use, so I watched around midnight, and lasted just a few minutes.  Amazing.  Last night, determined, I forwarded it to new, unviewed territory and voila!  I finished it, finally, after a quarter century of trying. It's stuff nobody understands.

Here's the clip TUA mentioned below ... the Tom Mix deal knocks me out. (begins @2:46)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just think of all the savings on sleeping pills... Put your TV on a shutdown timer, plug in Zelig and quit counting sheep...

tomw

The Mayor said...

I think it might be the word Zelig putting you to sleep. Even after I see the word Zelig I....oh man, what happened?

Anonymous said...

Grapes of Rath, book & movie, have the same effect on me.

J [not for Joad] P

Anonymous said...

Mayor, also...think Selig as in Bud.
righty gomez

The Ugly American said...

Perhaps you're falling asleep during the hypnosis scene ; )

I recently visited the Hearst Castle where, during Tour One, they provide a brief rest stop inside the castle's old theatre. There they feature various clips of the day's Hollywood film stars visiting the Hearst estate.

In Zelig, Allen cleverly inserts himself into these clips (begins @2:46)

Rodger the Real King of France said...

::
Thanks TUA .... did you notice that the interview with Mrs. Fletcher uses a similar device to one Allen used in Take The Money and Run's interview with his character's parents -- "No we're not ashamed of our son," while wearing Groucho Glasses? I'm beginning to appreciate some of his later works more, as I slide into my dotage.
::

The Ugly American said...

She was a very difficult girl.

John had problems. Depression. He drank.

LOL...

He uses a similar Mother bit in the film "Love and Death" ....one of my all-time favorites from his early days.

Anonymous said...

Rodger, Uris' other books were real page turners, but I couldn't finish Trinity either.
Lt. Col. Gen. Tailgunner dick

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Glad to hear I'm not the Lone Ranger ... My favorite Uris book is Mila 18.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.