Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Dumpster Diving, only different

'Dumpster Diving,' only different
Bear had to pick up some teaching supplies today, so we headed to the Dollar Tree to get some educational materials. This pretty much left me perusing the aisles when I stumbled upon the deal of the century. There, in the rear of the store was an advertisement claiming that these people had rib-eye steaks for a buck.

This had me sucked in. Normally, I am a bit uptight when it comes to buying food. I tend to stay away from anything discounted on the grounds that it there must be something wrong with it. Last year's fashion? Bring on the clearance price. Yesterday's corn? Sounds like botulism to me. maybe I've had food poisoning one too may times, but I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to freshness.

But today was different. As I studied the food section, it dawned on me that it might actually be possible to live off of dollar store food. But could you eat well? Come, humble reader, let's find out.
Hurry with your shopping folks.  Toll Call informs us that Henry Waxman proposes taxing Dollar Tree Rib-Eyes at their Blue Book value, as determined by Morton's Steak House.

10 comments:

TheAxe said...

I love the dollar store for popcorn and my brother always gets cookies.

Josh Fahrni-Barn Army Dog Catcher said...

I'll drink their sodas, and as more of a youngin' I'd play with (and subsequently break) their dollar cost toys. Always been mighty squeamish about eating food from their.

On another note, Boss man, people at the liquor store are always asking me, 'Say Josh, what the hell are you doing here at 19?' And then they ask me, 'What do you think Rodge has written up as a strategy for taking ratbastard commie MFCS out of office?'

I told them you take a wait and see approach, but that we're going to start making these people eat the tax code. And I don't mean orally.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

yeah. that works

Anonymous said...

Before you eat, ask yourself: Does it pass the pecksnif test?
Lt. Col. Gen Tailgunner dick

JMcD said...

I really like the dollar stores (all brands) for keeping the $1.00 from becoming obsolete....I have found some good food and cleansing material bargains there...The best one that comes to mind was cans ($1.00)of black olives from Spain...I have never before or since had these that were as outstanding...Only drawback was that after a couple of months they were NO more.Also it was the first place I ever found 'GLORY' products, now more common.

BlogDog said...

Those weren't olives! They were PEACHES!!!!!

JMcD said...

Haha Blogdog you dog!....I have actually been buying garlic and onion powders along with dried onion flakes (I use a lot of all three) there for a long time because I don't like paying the price at the Giant Eagle as if I were buying fecking gold.

J. Pazzesco said...

I'm glad I already ate.

Anonymous said...

These are folks that would have loved the old Pic 'N' Save buffet.
Tim

Anonymous said...

In my day, the 5 and dime didn't sell food. Neither did Sprouse-Ritz... Okay, candybars...

w.v. bilextxp ???

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.