Friday, November 20, 2009

HOT NUTS

Am this be ringin' a bell?
 Listen to this short clip and see if it rings a bell?  My guess is that positive response will come from peeps who attended college on the Atlantic seaboard, and belonged to a fraternity or sorority. 
Doug Clark c. 1960

Why in gawd's name I thought of this in the shower just now is answerable only within a space-time continuum I don't understand but know I get up in the morning  now and 10 minutes later it's 11:00 PM WTF?   Anyway, while I've thought about other bands from the 60's, like Phil Flowers who played at the Hayloft in DC (where the drinking age was 18), Doug Clark completely slipped my mind.  It was at a Hot Nuts party I made my stage debut (many others will make the same claim) with my oh-so clever, and as close to raunchy as was allowable, lyrics.

Hot nut, Red hot nuts, \
get 'em any way you can.
See that girl over there named Sue?
She took on me and Santa too.
Whoa!!
Yay ... cheer,
drink chug-a-lug

Hot nut, Red hot nuts, \
get 'em any way you can.
See that guy his name is Fred
His girl friend Karen just loves my bed!
Whoa!!
Yay ... cheer,
drink chug-a-lug


Usually, about the time the last keg dried up,  the taglines all rhymed with "duck," which was obscenely inappropriate back when  nobody used the f-word in the presence of women.  Anyway, here's Doug Clark's web site.  And here's some memories from a Tar Heel.

Hot nut, Red hot nuts, \
get 'em any way you can.
See that guy named Captain Zero
He's ain't nuttin but a modern day Nero
Yay ... cheer,
Impeach that MoFo
click-click

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Tams

Maurice Williams & the Zodiacs

Ocean Drive, SC


Thanks for taking me for a ride in the wayback machine


Stick

Anonymous said...

I've got a vinyl LP of DC & the Hot Nuts around somewhere. I couldn't believe it when I first heard it in 1980. I figured they were long gone and was surprised that not only they weren't, but they still tour!

AWM

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Amazed me as well.

Anonymous said...

My wife attended a frat party in the late 60's at the Tennessee Club, in Memphis. DC & the Nutz were the featured act but never made it through the first set. The Memphis PD raided the joint and carted off all the debs and their dates, arrested the band. Her daddy was not amused.

JP

Anonymous said...

See that girl with the little red truck,
She really likes to ..... walk her duck,
Hot nuts etc.
Saw James Brown at the Ritchie Colliseum ca 1961, had the Four Tops as the band at a fraternity party about the smae time. Good music, good times.
Lt. Col. Gen. Tailgunner dick

Rodger the Real King of France said...

I missed that ... did see Carlos Montoya, Ferrante and Teicher, and the Shirelles at Ritchie.

Anonymous said...

In ROTC we used to march through town. Cadence lead with:

I knew a girl from New York City
She had a freckle on her ... elbow.

(for those that don't get it... what female body part rhymes with "City"?)


It's hard to believe now that was considered "pushing the limits" at that point in time but were told several times to knock off the objectionable language. Of course it only encouraged us.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

I never heard a woman say "f--k" until c. 1966 when I started hanging around in New York.

JMcD said...

"....say "f--k" until c. 1966 ...."
I just saw (F**K) the movie yesterday.

Thomas M. said...

Back about 1984 or so, I was working for Air Force Sergeants Association and was known to frequent an establishment on Connecticut Avenue on the same block as the Uptown Theater. The Far Inn featured pretty good live bands that were almost exclusively local, so I was surprised and elated to see Doug Clark and the Hot Nuts listed as a coming attraction and quickly made reservations.

I had heard of them, and even purchased their original album, under the counter of course, from a record store in Falls Church. Sadly, the album managed to disappear during my college years.

In any event, I mentioned their coming appearance to a coworker, a large African American gentleman named Ben Lindsay. Ben was a retired Master Sergeant and as fine a man as I’ve ever met. When I asked if he’d ever heard of them he got a very amused look on his face, closed the door to my office and told me his story.

Not only had he heard of them, he’d grown up with them, and in fact had been the bass player for a few years. He went on to tell me that John Clark, Doug’s brother and the drummer, was the true genius behind the band’s storied Second Set. Doug was just the front man.

Naturally, I added to the reservation. The band was getting ready to play when Ben and his fiancé arrived and it was old home week. Needless to say, the band was quite shocked to see Ben at this venue, but was still delighted, and my date and I were fortunate enough to spend the non-performing parts of the evening with them. It was as entertaining an evening as I’ve ever had.

The first and third sets were some of the finest rhythm and blues I’ve ever heard. This was a great band. The second set was the famous, raunchy set and was absolutely hilarious. They began the set, amidst great anticipation from the audience, and warned them about the obscene nature of their performance and ended their advisory that if folks didn’t appreciate this particular kind of humor, f*ck you. It more than lived up to its reputation.

I had taken a lady friend who I knew would appreciate their brand of humor. In the middle of the set, Doug Clark singled her out, and asked if she knew the difference between a Big Mac and a blowjob. When she didn’t he asked her to lunch.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.