Wednesday, October 13, 2010

M1 Garand - a danger to America WTF

This is my rifle   
This is my gun ...


M1-Garand

I remember numbers out of the blue.  Don't know why.  Sometimes it's the combination to my high school gym locker, or my 10th  grade girlfriend's phone number.  While typing this - just now -  I remembered that my grandparent's phone number was  PEnsacola 6-6264. WTF?

These are numbers that were important to me at one time. Like the serial number of my M1-Garand, which I don't remember just now, but it'll pop into my head again. Failure to recite that number on the Drill Sgt's command cost 50 push-ups.  Losing it was unforgivable, and the threat of having to pay the Army $103 ( I think it was), or 2 month's pay, was used to reinforce that point. I've  wanted to own an M-1 for some time now,  but $1200? Yikes.  But wait! 

The Republic of Korea is about to return tens of thousands of surplus M-1s  to the U.S. for sale in the consumer market. But Wait!

The Obama-run Washington bureaucracy has classified a common and reliable rifle, the M1 Garand, as a "threat to public safety in the U.S.," and the State Department has canceled plans by the Republic of Korea to return tens of thousands of surplus rifles to the U.S. for sale in the consumer market.

The stunning classification of an ordinary gun that was used in the U.S. military for two decades and issued to thousands of soldiers and Marines during World War II and Korea as a threat came in a document by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.

It is being publicized by Examiner gun rights writer David Codrea, who said the federal agency appeared alarmed that there would be "no more controls [over imported Garands] than any other firearm."
Obama agency busts plan to sell rifles to Americans


Now I don't just want one.  I think I'll need it.


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

That even makes ME want one, and I can't hit a barn with a rifle.
mary

Anonymous said...

I had never shot an M-1 , and a friend of mine showed up at my house to show me his . He pulled it out of the case , and I asked if he would mind if I tried it . He loaded it , and I took aim at a salt lick about a 150 yards from the house . While standing on my hind legs in the driveway . I shattered that block of salt into a thousand pieces on the 1st shot ! I handed it back to him , and said "She's a little off". You should have seen the look on his face ! LUCKIEST SHOT I EVER MADE : ) SMIBSID

JMcD said...

I unpacked and cleaned the preservative off a brand new one in March 1956...
I was very fond of it but the National Guard wouldn't let me keep it.

Kim said...

Rodge, it's not a need: it's a duty.


Word verification - bloingsh: the sound Hillary Clinton's head makes when it falls off the guillotine platform.

USMC2841 said...

706661. But mine was a M16A2 from the Desert Storm era.

Anonymous said...

Civilian Marksmanship Program
http://www.thecmp.org/
One of my pre-Obama purchases (late October 2008) was a Garand from the CMP. Nuff said?

Anonymous said...

That story is about 2-3 months old. Any changes recently, or is the ban still in place?

My brother in law had one and I could dance a milk jug up a hill at a hundred yards. I want one of my own.

--mech

Anonymous said...

Try this: http://www.gunshopfinder.com/springfield/M19102.asp

Should be about $800, and better than the originals because it's new. Love mine.

Casca

Anonymous said...

I bought two from Civilian Markmanship program when Clinton was Prez. Love these weapons and loved buying real 'assault' rifles from the Clinton administration! Still available from CMP. Oh yeah, they usually have cheap ammo, too!

Anonymous said...

And CMP ships them direct to your door via FEDEX without the need for a dealer to do the transfer, as long as it is permissible by local statute. Not sure about Maryland, of course.

Service grade for about $620 delivered, and various grades better or worse for more and less. The service grade will be a pretty decent rifle, the Correct grade rifle will be a damn nice rifle, and the special grade rifles will shoot a gnat's ass out.

You owe it to yourself, Rodge.

H

molonlabe28 said...

Beware of Executive Orders and other issuances of law by administrative fiat.

Anonymous said...

I know. Let's everybody chip in and buy Rodge a top grade M-1.

Uh ... some guy.

DougM said...

Bite me!
Just for that, I'm gonna buy another one!

Chuck said...

Bought my M1 after returning home from Iraq, through the CMP. Lucked out on a service grade rifle, got one made in August, 1940.

Cleaned the parts, stripped the stock, soaked it in mineral spirits, steamed out some gouges, and it's damn nice looking.

Took it to the gun blogger rendezvous, and spent an afternoon shooting 500, 800, and 1000 meter targets with nothing but iron sights. Closer in, damage is unbelievable (verified by the now-absent groundhog population at my home in Pa.)

BTW, Hi Kim!

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.