Friday, December 02, 2011

Greoge Forean Grill v, Cuisinart


Gizmos and Gadgets
George Foreman Jumbo Grill
 

In early October I ordered a Jumbo George Foreman Grill from WOOT for $19.95.  For that price, I figured there was little to lose.   I know what you're saying.  But Rodge, what about the Cuisinart George Foreman Panini Grill?

The King is Dead.  Long live the King.
Today's Gadget

Since 2004 I've had three Cuisinart's - one is still in the basement unopened.  I was saving it for if we ever got our kitchen updated.  The problem with Cuisinart is it's impossible to keep clean.  Plus, when you open the lid,  grease from the top drains onto the counter.  Still, I really had no intention of using the real George Foreman for anything but a fill-in. 
That's changed.  When I first opened it however,  I thought "What a piece of crap!"  It reminded me of the Japanese toys of my youth; flimsily stamped sheet metal. crap. Felt like it weighed about 12 ounces.

Today's Gadget
This thing instead is simplicity as art.  No on/off switch.  Plug it in, and about 60 seconds the sumbitch is melting cheese. Unlike the Cuisinart,  there are no interchangeable cooking surfaces (fat and grill).  Don't matter,  The built in ribs on the lower surface leave grill marks on meat, but are virtually unnoticeable on sammiches.  The grill is sloped so the grease rolls off into the provided full length drip pan.  The lid does not drip when opened, and it takes maybe 2 minutes to .wipe to new after using.  What I like most so far though,  is using it to hold and drain fried food. It keeps chicken, fries etc. warm and crispy, and lets them drain while you make more.  I love it. But then. y'all prolly had one 5 years ago, so I'm just updating my "Stuff that works" register.

  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw that W00t sale and passed. I wish I hadn't now that his Highness gives his stamp of approval! W00t!

skegatz

Steve_in_CA said...

I have the one with removable grill plates, really really easy to clean, fish, burgers, chicken, paninis and grilled cheese, absolutely fantastic.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

skegatz - MoSup saw them selling for $24 at WalMart (or Target)

Anonymous said...

Current sale @$19.99, MSR: $50, at Tiger Direct, online or B&M:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1277075&sku=C185-1034
Cheers.

Cheesy said...

And here I always thought the George Foreman grill was something you put on your teeth.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.