Wednesday, July 16, 2014

A Friend's Last Day





What?  You Have Something in Your Eye?




It's always tough having to say goodbye to a loved one, but a Houston photographer's split-second decision to chronicle the last day of her friend's dog broke down the Internet, literally, with condolences from thousands.

Within days after posting the story about a black Labrador named Duke on her website, photographer Robin Arouty, had more than 100,000 visits, the story was shared thousands of times from both her blog and her Facebook page. Even her website had malfunctions because of the high traffic.

Last week the Roberts family had to say farewell to Duke, their loyal black Labrador who was diagnosed with bone cancer a few years back had to be euthanized by her owner, Jordan Roberts, a close friend of Roberts.

"When I walked in & saw the hamburgers on the counter I knew some special things were about to happen, I just felt it," Arouty posted in her blog. "Funny, Jordan told me yesterday 'I don't even remember you taking pics. All I remember is you holding my hand.' "

According to a report on KLTV-TV, Duke had one of his legs removed and later on was diagnosed with hemngiosarcoma. With no options left, Roberts had to put her dog to sleep.

"We struggled with the decision to let Dukey go, but ultimately did everything in our power to protect him from further pain," said Jordan told KLTV. "With the help from our friends, Dukey had a beautiful day filled with love and happiness. We should all be so lucky."

The Roberts family decided to invite Arouty, who is a photographer, animal rescuer and advocate based in Houston, to be there for moral support.

Many people passed on words of support for the Roberts family for their loss on Arouty's website.

"What a wonderful heartwarming & heartbreaking story our thoughts are with all who knew and loved Dukey he was a hero in the dog world despite his pain he never lost his ability to LOVE as you all loved him our thoughts are with you," Tony Simms posted.

From eating hamburgers, being with the Roberts family, take a walk and play in the water, Duke spent a special last day with his family and came to and end as he was put to sleep at the park.

"What a blessed life he had with a family that adored him," Candace Hill posted on the blog. "I hope that his family will open their hearts again to another rescue when the time is right."

For more on Duke's last day visit Auroty's blog.

I think Metzger sent this, but correct me.  I received it during my restoration, and while I linked it, I didn't save the e-mail.  Anyway, I think we've all been there, and more than once.  Don't tell SondraK; it'll destroy her—bless her dog loving heart.


5 comments:

bocopro said...

No, can't take credit for that'n. Unless I sent it while in some kind of alternate state.

I've outlived several dogs in my 74 years, and that decision on whether to let 'em continue enduring the pain or letting 'em go in peace is always a tough one.

But each time one goes, I get another one . . . or two.

Juice said...

Hit this hard by those pics, especially the fade to grey ones. Our Seamus is close (called the vet about it.) Still, thanks. It offerd perspective.

Skoonj said...

Labs are so great, I believe they are God's representatives on earth.

Chris in NC said...

I didn't make it 10 pictures in before I had to grab the tissues.

There are dogs like this in every shelter. God bless those who adopt them.

pdwalker said...

Speak for yourself, I bawled my eyes out.

We are blessed with their love and devotion, and cursed by their short lives.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.