Sunday, February 15, 2009

Berkeley and the CIA

The Berkeley Experience

My best friend in the world received engineering and law degrees from Cal Berkeley, after his tour in Viet Nam.  Today we use e-mail and the phone, but back then, for several years, we exchanged weekly letters..  I'll call him i-Pod.  I loved his Berkeley letters, because he reveled in tweaking the pasty faced, anti-war students who dominated  campus politics. Remember the scene in Forest Gump, where Gump, wearing his newly received Medal of Honor, runs into the anti-war protestors, and they assume he must be a John Kerry ass-wipe?  Same thing with i-Pod. 

Went to a campus mixer to survey the local talent. One starry eyed hippie girl was obviously smitten by my notoriety.    We drank wine out of paper cups,  and she asked if I'd witnessed any atrocities?  I said no. I told her that I did have a door gunner (he, a Huey pilot) who could dot the eye of a slope and his water buffalo with a single burst from 2000 feet.  She nearly passed out.  No pussy, but it was worth it.

iPod got the hell out of there after graduation from law school, and if he went back today, it would be in the pilot's seat of my B-52.  I'm telling you this because Mo Sup just called me in to watch a retired CIA operative,  Robert Baer,  on CBS News Sunday Morning.  The segment introduced Baer and his CIA wife from their retirement home in .... Berkeley, CA.  From whence they had also graduated many years back.  "Oh-oh," was my first thought.  Visions of Valerie and Mr. Plane danced in my head.  I was right.

Baer's message is that Iran is about to dominate Middle Eastern, and we have to recognize that dominance, and dance with them.  This, after he listed the string of attacks on the United States that Iran has engineered.  "But wouldn't that be rewarding bad behavior," countered the interviewer?  "Yes. but so what," replied Baer.  He hopes President Obama, whom he's been advising,  will take his advice and play nice with Iran's Mullah's.  The question of Iran's vow to nuke Israel out of existence wasn't asked.

 I get the feeling we're in the process of being rolled here, and this is a pre-conditioning exercise.    Trust me on this.  People who graduated from Cal Berkeley, and  return to live out their lives, are not to be trusted.  Neither are people who take their advice. 


PS.  We watched the Coen Brother's comedy of CIA errors Burn After Reading  last night.  It received bad reviews, but I liked it a lot.  Not so much, MoSup.  By picking Leon Panetta to be the next CIA director, Obama signals that he views the CIA as a joke too.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dogs do what dogs do - and in Berkeley, "dog do" is now part of some very public art. Decorative medallions depicting dogs sniffing, dumping and humping each other have recently been added to the base of one of a pair of sculptures commissioned by the city on either end of the pedestrian and bike bridge over Interstate 80. At first glance, one might think the scatological series of bronzes is a joke. It's not. "I am showing dogs doing what dogs do at the dog park," said Scott Donahue, the artist who was paid $196,000 from Berkeley's public arts program to create the sculptures. Donahue says the sculpture simply depicts the natural and recreational activities at Berkeley's waterfront, which includes a dog park.

And my favorite comment is this:

"I wonder if I can convince the Berkeley council that filling the pothole in front of my house would be a worthy piece of performance art? ” by berkeleyjim
oy vey ole'

Juice said...

Great story about your friend i-pod. Sounds like he didn't allow life circumstances to get the better of him and he kept his sense of humor, as well. That movie has some good TV spot ads, but I'm unable to view anything with georage clooney. Not even the regularly recommended Brother Where Art Thou.

Anonymous said...

I also liked this movie a lot... Brad Pitt is LOL funny.

Now, I happen to know a lady former police person and her husband Fire Chief from the mid-60s in Berkeley. They offer a startling view of how the city "turned" back then. Dangerous neighborhood for anyone with an ounce of logic.

Anonymous said...

Berkeley fisticuffs....."Listen up..Everybody make sure to get your turn before the 'Young Obamites Club" party this weekend."

Anonymous said...

I like all movies, Burn After Reading was no exception. I could never, and still can't stop occassionally, calling it 'burn before reading'. I thought it was one of those ironic titles, at one point, and it wont leave me alone now.

Anonymous said...

The key to success here is, when mahdoucheijads nukes goes off, to have routed them to places like Berkely and 'Frisco. Then the rest of us can take it from there. It's gauranteed to happen now, so let's make the best of it.

Juice said...

It's now 6:35pm PST, and I've waited all day for someone, most witty (that I am not) to humorously post the obvious: Wrong bodily extremity inserted into the bovine shoot.
Heads up, er, head in? People, it's f'ing bezerkly. :) Okey, Rodge, One picture is the 1000 words. *your grace TRKOF*

Anonymous said...

Iran will dominate with WHAT? Lets not get carried away the the "ohhhh they have a nuuuuke" thing. Kind of like standing in front of the 1st Marine Division and declaring you have a bullet. Yeah, so?

Iran will never have a sufficient arsenal to disable Israel. Israel on the other hand has the ability to deploy REAL nukes with precision and reliability.

Oh one more thing. They have a conservative hawk for a leader.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.