Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Crime Drama

Great Escapes
Full Court Press
By now you prolly have a feel for how my movie preferences square with yours.  Because of the overthrow of our gummint, I've been taking refuge in movie fantasy of late.  Since I went a few years without watching hardly anything, everything is a wonder for me now, although certainly behind the times for the avid movie goer.  Here are two I recently watched on cable (Find Me Guilty was "on demand.")  Had never heard of either one, and both were utterly compelling.  FMG is a Five Star, or ½  BOOGERS pick for me.  My only prollem with it -- I  found myself rooting for mafioso Jack DiNorscio.  Didn't want to, but I did.  So will you.  True story, and funny as hell.  Ben, the "small person" lawyer is great.

Training his lens on infamous mobster "Fat" Jack DiNorscio (Vin Diesel) -- a man who decided to defend himself in court rather than rat out his cohorts -- acclaimed director Sidney Lumet (Dog Day Afternoon, 12 Angry Men) recounts the longest Mafia trial in U.S. history. Ron Silver and Annabella Sciorra co-star in this gripping legal drama, which draws its dialogue from actual courtroom transcripts

.
Anthony Hopkins needs no pumping up, he's always good.  Had never heard of this film though.  His nemesis in this film is terrific.  Never figured it out, or saw it coming. I give it 4½ stars, or 1½ BOOGERS
Anthony Hopkins stars in this legal thriller as Ted Crawford, a man who allegedly attempted to murder his wife and is now locked in a battle of wits with an assistant district attorney, Willy Beachum (Ryan Gosling). The D.A.'s convinced Crawford has blood on his hands, but Crawford is freed on a technicality, sending Beachum on an obsessive mission to prove Crawford's guilt -- even if he has to bend the law to make his case.

Anthony Hopkins needs no pumping up, he's always good.  Had never heard of this film either.  His nemesis in this film is terrific. 

2 comments:

TechnoYid said...

I always thought that Find Me Guilty was a great movie. And, it shows that Vin Diesel can act. It is too bad he keeps getting stuck in action/comedy roles.

Juice said...

I've seen Fracture and it was good to the finale. Wasn't expecting that was he? Ryan Gosling was in another movie I liked, Stay. If you don't know the premise, it will be a surprise to the end, also.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.