Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Last word on Renewal

Epilogue


When boners came easily

Years ago I read a book about a family who pulled up stakes to sail to the North Pole, or thereabouts,  and live for a year on the family 35 foot boat. The kids would be schooled by mom, and nature. The father made a conscious decision not to take a marine radio  because, he figured, knowing they had that crutch would render them subconsciously careless.

My crutch on this adventure was  DriveImage XML V2.12, certainly one of the top ten free utilities of all time. Because I could restore  any damned thing I wanted,  I failed to make provision for saving things like bookmarks, history, add-ons etc.. Well, I can, but first I have to find the right things in the maze of Mozilla's maze of profiles, blah- blah-blah.  I's daunting. So, tonight I'll prolly restore the old, bloated  waiting-for-disaster  system I'm as least comfortable with. 

 What I accomplished by spending all yesterday reinstalling Windows.
  • Since I wiped the disk, I have a very clean system
  • I was able to install service pack 3, something I couldn't do before (for some unknown reason)
  • During the hours of waiting for updates to finish  I:
  1. Watched 5 Mad Men episodes (I'm hooked)
  2. Watched the Curb Enthusiasm  Seinfeld episode.  Clap-clap-clap
  3. Watched the first episode of Dexter (HFS!!)  My daughter suggested it.  I expected a comedy. HFS-not.  (She suggested I not  watch a single episode from season 2, which stunk, but season 3 is great).
  4. I washed the dishes (MoSop away, day  5)
  5. Changed my underpants
What I lost in the process:
  • My affable fun loving demeanor
  • 15 hours of my life
  • Years of tweaks, gizmos, and gewgaws that made life easier.
  • My sound (as in the sound stopped working after a Microsoft sound driver update caused a "near fatal error." Even though I rolled back the update and reinstalled the Sound Blaster software, still no sound.
  • My mind, my boner. .
On the plus side, the chap I bought the new software from agreed to refund my $50.  How cool is that? 

I was hopeful that after jumping through all of Microsoft's hoops I'd  be able to load Media Player 11.  Nu uh.. Without it, I lose most of my multimedia software that is now dependent on it being there.    My late F-I-L griped until the day he died that he was a Social Security "notch baby"  Well,  I'm a Media Center Edition 2002 notch baby. 


I've also put off doing so many things in real life that I don't know where to begin with those.  Time for some whiskey.


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Firefox is real easy to restore. D/L and I Firefox and open it once, then close it. Take the profile contents folder that you saved, that's the one with the funny made-up name and copy it and all its subfolders into the profile folder under your account\Applications\Mozilla\Firefox. Then edit the profiles configurations settings file with notepad and change the new default profile to the old one. Done.

JLW III

Anonymous said...

For some reason, my XP Windows media player hasn't worked for years. Well, it works but there's no picture. So I use an alternative player. Works for me.

Marc M

Rodger the Real King of France said...

I don't give a rat's ass about using Media Player, but as media tools I use for video, sound, etc. are upgraded, they all require it. Everyday I lose something else to that monster. Even loading the drivers might help. Anyway, I'm just sick of it all.

Scott said...

For your bookmarks please grab the XMarks (formerly FoxMarks)add-on from the Mozilla website. It's saved my ass many times, and lets you keep your bookmarks intact among several computers.

Anonymous said...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211089
How to export IE bookmarks. the only downside is that they will be alphabetized.

Kristophr said...

I just gave up on it, upgraded my PC to rocketship status, and loaded f'cking Vista on it.

With the OS and program files living on a solid state drive, it runs acceptably fast.

I expect to get even better speed when I go to Windows 7.

The reason you are having probs here Rodge is that Microsoft does everything in its power to MAKE you buy their latest OS.

If you aren't willing to just buy the latest OS when you upgrade your PC, you need to go to a Mac for video editing.

Video pros either use Macs, or they use full house specialized workstations. They don't do Windoze.

Sorry. The only reason I have a PC in the house is to play video games ... the one thing Windows is needed for.

Kim said...

I've always thought it's just easier to buy a whole new PC than to go through Reinstallation Hell.

JMcD said...

Rodger, I'm mystified.....My HP is a 2002 which I have updated regularly...It has Framework 2.0 SP2--Framework 3 SP2---Framework 3.5 SP1---XP SP3, and some other stuff including, Windows Media Player 11 and IE8.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Are you running Windows Media Center Edition software? I bet not.

JMcD said...

Yep, you're right Rodge, but I was able to get the Wn Media 11....wonder why?

Chris in NC said...

Atari rocked. My first computer that started me on my way to a programmer analyst and database admin career was the Atari 400 with a wolloping 32K or ram! WOO HOO. Star Raiders was great.

Kristophr said...

"Are you running Windows Media Center Edition software?"

Nope. I also don't like banging my head with a ball-peen hammer. If you are going to get serious about multimedia, you need to walk away from Windows.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.