Wednesday, November 04, 2009

They'll never take me alive

My SEIU?


Two of the damnedest things ...

1. A week ago BGE replaced the meters in our neighborhood with units that could be read remotely.  Took maybe 3 minutes w/o power.  Yesterday we get a notice from BGE that says "many of the homes in your area have been undercharged for their service, but you are not one of them.  Have a nice day."  My wife's friend two doors down got the same letter, except hers said, "you have been grossly undercharged for years.  We'll let it slide but be prepared for the real world."

This makes no sense to me.  How could a new meter recall data from a mechanical meter

2. We,  both of us, were anxious to watch the morning media to see how the election spin went. Guess what?  Every local television channel in Baltimore and Washington came up with this message.

I called the number and am told they will reset ourset top boxes.  They do, and now I can't get any channel.  I'm transferred to a technician who asks "How can I help you?"  GHAK! I tell her, and in a few minutes she explains that the reason I can only get local channels is they have an outage in my area.  No, I tell her, I can only "Not Get" local channels, until you reset me, and NOW I get no channels.  That's because we have an outage in your are, and the estimated time to have you up and running is 2PM. 

It's pretty damned obvious what's going on.  Payback by Obama for calling him a two-bit chiseling wetback mfcs.


7 comments:

Gayle Miller said...

Move to Virginia. We have power AND cable! And a new Governor, Lt. Governor and Attorney General! Yee haw!

Anonymous said...

As to the electric meter, the older automated technologies had two components: The meter and the communication device. Often, in fact always, over time, the communication device which counts the meter revolutions (in the case of a mechanical meter) quit counting each one. The meter always worked, but the comm device communicated fewer kWh used than the meter.

I manage a small electric utility, and the problem is/was common to the old technology. We experienced failure of 50% of our meters before we finally got them out. Almost every state law allows back-billing. My board of directors would not let me back bill. We move forward.

Glad I could be of service. That will be $211.00

Rodger the Real King of France said...

What? No quick pay discount?

DougM said...

Cable outages are invariably caused by planned switching of service connections and/or integrating new signal processing equipment. In other words, a backhoe dug up your local feed line by mistake.

Chuck from Tacoma said...

We live within a mile or two of McChord AFB and loose or satalite signal for a coupla seconds several times per day due to C17's and C-5's flying 12 feet over the house (modest exageration). When the Reserve guys come out for touch and goes, it can get annoying.
Near as I can tell, most of them are Seahawks fans as they don't do flyovers during the games.
We have back up basic cable for when it is just too crappy of weather to count on the sat.

Anonymous said...

Ok, Rodger, I admit it. It was MY fault. *I* shut down the television system for you and all your neighbors. I was trying to spare you the embarrassment of your neighbors seeing your *ahem* "famous trip to the liquor store" video. But I guess it had to come out, sooner or later. These things can't stay secret forever.

I tried to protect you, brother. I tried.

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZQsA7G0hvQ&feature=related)

--Jack

tom said...

If the older meters were plain old mechanical, that did NOT transmit their readings, then some of them could have gotten out of adjustment over time.
When the got the meters back to the shop, they were tested for accuracy and the letter you and your neighbor received were generated based on the results of the test.
That would mean that the meter was showing less OR MORE usage than actual watt/hours.
They won't bill for those whose meter read low, but they also are not refunding to those whose meter read HIGH.
I don't know PUC rules for such, but our local CO-Op offers to change out your meter if you feel it may be inaccurate.

tomw

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.