Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Gun Liars

blood dancing clogging the intertubes

Curmudgeonly & Skeptical
 The prollem with never being challenged  by an obedient press is that, if it happens, you don't have the skill to do anything but call Fox News "an arm of the Republican Party."   Similarly, the prollem with getting away with "making science," is you no longer have appreciation for truth, let alone the moral character to stab at it.  It's pervasive, and on the subject of gun rights,  the rule.  The Freeholder wields  the scalpel:

Curmudgeonly & Skeptical
There is much in the typing (sorry, but I can't bring myself to call it "writing"), but the number of cherry-picked facts and outright lies (sorry, but I can't bring myself to call them "inaccuracies") is astounding.

As many as there is, this one is my favorite:

But Time magazine tells us:

Each month American Rifleman, the journal of the National Rifle Association, features about a dozen such accounts of armed citizens defending themselves against criminals. Based on newspaper clippings submitted by N.R.A. members, the stories dramatically show how a gun can sometimes prevent a crime and perhaps even save a victim's life.

The only trouble is that is from Time, August, 1989

Curmudgeonly & Skeptical
The NRA's American Rifleman Magazine doesn't feature that news anymore, there isn't any listing of guns saving anyone's life on their website, just a lot of ads for weapons and accessories.

Now, I just happen to have, here on the desk, the December 2009 issue of American Rifleman

[continued good stuff]

via  my mam

6 comments:

MoFiZiX Gr4FiX said...

When I was a lot younger, I used to get Rifleman then switched to Hunter and now I get America's 1st Freedom which clearly outshines both of the others on the political purpose of the NRA. Read it religiously!

Anonymous said...

Last time I heard the figure, 30% or thereabouts of officers getting shot on the job were shot with their own weapon.

Does it then follow that to reduce officers getting shot on the job by 30%, we should disarm the police? Well hell no.....

H

Anonymous said...

we should disarm the police?
Relax, we Lib...ahhh..Progressives will only disarm 30% of the cops. So everybody is safer.
Lt. Col. Gen. Tailgunner dick

Anonymous said...

Here is the other aspect that the "other side" won't acknowledge. Supposing that you have a 10% CCW rate. That is one in 10 citizens armed. On a subway or in a restaurant that means that there are about 2 armed people on a slow day. The question for the goblin "Which two?"

Yat -
Armed and free

Anonymous said...

I became a cop just so I could carry a concealed gun legally. I have had several occasions over the past 27 years where it has rescued me or some citizen. Fu*k the liberals and crybabies who want to disarm me, my family and friends. Don't forget, when seconds count, I'm only minutes away.................

molonlabe28 said...

A gun certainly save the life of the cop who killed the perp (and saved the state of Washington a small fortune).

And my guns make me feel comfortable when they are at the ready, which is most of the time.

If the TPM folks feel comfortable remaining disarmed, they can be my guest.

Those at the bottom of the food chain will be eaten first.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.