Friday, June 25, 2010

Crossing the Rubicon

Stuff of Sacked

Boned Jello

I'm not attempting here to draw direct parallels betwixt General Stanley Allen McChrystal and General Edwin Walker, but a tenuous association is inescapable. Walker was sacked by Robert McNamara (JFK) in 1961. 

In 1959, General Walker was sent to Germany to command the 24th Infantry Division. In 1961, however, he became involved in controversy. Walker initiated an anti-communist indoctrination program for troops called "Pro Blue" (due to Free World troops being colored blue on maps)[2]  and was accused of distributing right-wing literature from the John Birch Society to the soldiers of his division. He was also quoted by a newspaper, the Overseas Weekly, as saying that Harry S. Truman, Eleanor Roosevelt, and Dean Acheson were "definitely pink." Additionally, a number of soldiers had complained that Walker was instructing them as to whom to cast their votes for in the next election, with all of the candidates the General named being arch-conservative Republicans. Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara relieved Walker of his command, while an inquiry was conducted, and in October Walker was reassigned to Hawaii to become assistant chief of staff for training and operations in the Pacific. Instead, Walker resigned from the Army on November 2, 1961. Said Walker: "It will be my purpose now, as a civilian, to attempt to do what I have found it no longer possible to do in uniform."[Wikipedia]

Walker (along with Air Force General Curtis LeMay) was cited as inspiration for the Air Force General James Mattoon Scott character in the film Seven Days in May, although Walker himself is mentioned by name in the film.  Of course, there is the General MacArthur parallel to consider as well.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

For some strange reason, I feel the need to watch Dr Strangelove.
Tim

Anonymous said...

McCrystal is a lib and here's another hundred on the bet.

righty gomez

Anonymous said...

Only Pentagon patsies put on stars. Leaders of fighting men retire with a bird on their collar. Do you think Colin Powell would be seen in the same room with David Hackworth? The current Generalship is made up of those compliant enough to survive the Clinton years.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Walker ran for Texas Gov. as a Democrat.

Anonymous said...

Don't get me wrong,I really liked David Hackworth...but he was wrong on Iraq !

Anonymous said...

This whole thing with McChrystal has me bemused. I am a news hound. When I am home, the tv is in FOX News. If I am in my car, the radio is on talk radio. The first thing I heard about this business was that McChrystal had said something he shouldn't in an interview with Rolling Stone magazine and was this going to cost him his job.

This is pretty much the narrative of every single story I have heard about it since. I have seen two separate polls asking if he should be fired or not. Yet, NOT ONCE HAS ANYONE QUOTED OR EVEN PARAPHRASED WHAT McCRYSTAL ACTUALLY SAID. I know because as time goes on I have been paying more and more attention.

Now, I know that I could easily Google this story and find the missing quotes, but I already know from experience what I would find. Every time in the past when there is much hoopla about what something someone said, and the Press is busy getting each others' and everyone else's opinions about it while essentially ignoring the actual quote or video clip, I know that what was actually said was:
1. no big deal or...
2. taken completely out of context or...
3. never actually said.
This, of course, is a phenomena that only occurs when the said 'someone' is on the right. Has anyone else noticed this?
GrinfilledCelt

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Look around Celt, I did see excerpts. I think it had something to do with the Wookie's crotch.

Anonymous said...

That's my point, Rodger, I have to go looking for the quotes and dig them up myself, but listening to the Media (and conservative Media at that) I still haven't a clue what he said. What I do know is EVERYONE'S opinion as to whether he should be fired for whatever it was. From past experience, this tells me that the whole thing is based on BS.
GrinfilledCelt

JMcD said...

Is that a real photograph,or is it a scene from one of those 1950's sci/fi movies of the giant, nuclear weapon created monster,people eating bugs
that they call out the army for, only to find out that tanks, artillary,and M1 rifles are useless against?

Anonymous said...

McChrystal behaved as a warrior and leader up to the point where he apologized for his words.

His mistakes- speaking frankly and allowing his staff to speak frankly to liberal media without having the intestinal fortitude to live with the consequences.

He could have used his 15 minutes of fame well, and even parlayed it into a political career, but he failed the test of his convictions.

my respect dropped way down for him.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.