Friday, June 03, 2011

i rule


i

Okay, that's funny.  I love to tweak Apple cultists like everyone does.  Bur fair is fair. What's not funny *sigh* is how wretched Windows 7 is, and continues to become with every update.  For example, when I transfer pictures from my Canon A560 to the computer, I expect to be able to put them in whatever the hell directory I want.  It was a battle, because Mr. 7 wants to "organize" pictures in a some hierarchical system of its own design, and to hell with what I want. After a fashion I found a way to do it, but now I discover that the 7 pricks have lassoed and herded them back into the corral.  Obviously, then,  someone at Microsoft found out I was doing things the wrong way; cracked my knuckles with a ruler and corrected things.  I call that breaking and entering. 

The reason for all this is obvious to, mostly, old timers.  The gene that makes programmers programmers is the same one that makes people control freaks.  It is their natural tendency to thrill at having dominion over people not as bright as they.  These ambitions are controlled in the carefully supervised programming environment.  Guess  what?  Yes, the inmates have escaped oversight, evidently, and are run amok.  If all this makes you think "my God, he's describing government," you're right.  The ambition to control other people attracts the same personality.  When you see a seventh grader campaigning like hell to be elected class president, after nominating himself, you are seeing a future programmer, a manipulator of people Here's an example of that culture, one that exists in Microsoft today. 

Beginning with Windows 7, the time waster called Microsoft Hearts underwent an extraordinary metamorphosis.  The key move was retaining statistics from prior games.  The player is now allowed to win, say,  25% of the time with minimum cheating in the form of reneging.   At about the 40% win level however, it's total war.  By that I mean all pretense of playing by the rules is gone.  Every hand is programmed to  make it impossible for you to win.  Stacked deck and reneges galore.  If you still manage to get to the point where a win is possible, even probable, the game uses tactics tantamount to shooting you and declaring victory.  You will simply be trampled.

I swear to Jesus, I just now had a moment of perfect clarity.  Microsoft is  running the Democrat party. 

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not Windows 7 per se that's doing this. It is some picture management application like Picassa or some crud for your camera that was installed by the OEM who built your box or by yourself.

JLW III

toadold said...

When it comes to an operating system my IT guy say's,"You want it to be fast,stable,customizable, secure,compatible with a large range of applications, and able to run on the late and early hardware....pick two."

Bill W. said...

Well, I like Windows 7...especially 64-bit where I can use 8mb of RAM. I've had all the others (skipped Vista) and a few Macs years ago. So, now what do we do?

Rodger the Real King of France said...

"It's not Windows 7 per se that's doing this. It is some picture management application like Picassa or some crud for your camera that was installed by the OEM who built your box or by yourself.

JLW III"


_________________________________
The thing is, when I perform the very same tasks, using the very same system on my notebook (using Windows XP) - everything is fine. Ahem. And pictures are just one example. "My Documents" are handled in ways I neither understand, nor can seem to control. Yes, I am beyond wanting, or having to spend hours learning how to do things I've always done in return for getting nothing in return. There. I've said it. I cannot cite a single benefit Windows 7 offers over XP, except Windows XP security is no longer properly supported by Microsoft. At every turn, Windows 7 does its best to force me to do things differently than I want to. It is a MFCS Nanny OS.

Randy Rager said...

So use Ubuntu. It's free, it's fast and it let's you do it your way.

It also won't run Windows programs for shit, no matter what the Wine Weenies say, so make sure you can live with the programs they've got before you make the switch.

leelu said...

RKoF

You can run some flavor of Linux, and you can set up you machine to dual boot, meaning you don't have to dump W7, thus being able to run any Windows apps you need.

Best of both worlds!

Kristophr said...

Bah. They all suck, just in different ways.

pdwalker said...

The Mac OS has finally gotten nice to use.

Windows XP is the best version of Windows so far. Windows Vista shall be forgotten and the memory of it erased from human consciousness. Windows 7 is improved over that which shall not be named again, but ..um... it's become a nanny OS.

Linux? Love it, use it, but it is not my preference for a desktop system. Too much work for people to learn all the ins and outs of the OS. Easy enough for me as I live and breath that stuff, but give it to my mother? ack!

At the end of the day, I'd say Mac OS 10.6, Windows XP, and Ubuntu Desktop are the best choices. Each of them have their faults and their warts.

As for what programmers are really like, most of them do things that sense to them, but which does not necessarily make any sense what so ever for the non technical among us.

Programmer want to control their computers, they don't really care about unsophisticated users at all.

Full Disclosure: I use all three of those OS's on a daily basis and I get to pick the best of every single one of them

DougM said...

You Windows cultists are so ...
Well, actually, I don't know.
I've never used it, but I tried it once ... like broccoli.

Anonymous said...

I have over 8,000 pics on my MAC BOOK PRO , and I LOVE IT ! I have never had a pc . I'm just a red neck , who had a photographer friend , who led me by the hand into the land of MAC ! All of my SMIB friends stand in awe of what I can do with my mysterious MAC , and my business woman Lady Friend grabs my MAC every chance she gets ! My daughter graduates High School monday , and I just got her her own MAC BOOK PRO ! NOTHING BUT THE BEST FOR MY LITTLE GIRL ; ) > SMIBSID

Scott said...

I, too, used to be among the Apple haters. And then last year, after routinely replacing Win laptops every 18-24 months, my HP laptop's power supply tried to kill me through spontaneous ignition. HP's customer service were downright rude about it and I found myself at a crossroads...

"I could drop $700 on a new Win machine, or spend an extra $200 on a Macbook Pro. Hmmm..."

I needed the laptop for school and HP's response to me was so bad that I felt $200 was a pittance. So bought the Macbook with a student discount and was immediately enlightened. The thing. Just. Works. Every bit of it works. It's intuitive, reliable and free of any of the bloatware that Win boxes come preinstalled with.

So yeah. I was convinced the hard way.

Anonymous said...

Linux? Because is sucks less.

Anonymous said...

Yep, Roger, windows had a pretty good thing with XP. But being typical dumbo-geeks, they couldn't leave well enough alone and had to try to foist the V-crap on their customer base. And then came "7", which was mostly a repaired version of the V-crap.

I'm still using XP on all my systems. When it finally craps out, I will probably shift to a MAC.
If I am going to be forced to learn a new system, it might as well be something that has a reasonable chance of being stable. Besides, the son-in-law is a major player with MACs so I'll have built in customer service.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.