Thursday, March 22, 2012

Antenna Television

TECHNO THRILLS                      
Antenna TV





I bought this $99 Phillips LED (17") television from Woot with the intention of using it as a monitor for my ACER notebook.  This is not the first time I've tried to use a TV as a monitor, and the results are always disappointing, this time included.  It works, but I've learned that if you  want a PC monitor,  buy one.  However.

 I have never watched antenna television since it went HD.  I'm guessing many of you haven't either, what with cable seemingly ubiquitous.  I plugged in a cheap little antenna I had in my sack of stuff, and was amazed.  It found 17 channels straight away, and all of them had excellent picture quality.  Don't go by this video I shot in the kitchen with sunlight streaming in. 

So here's what I learned.  If I plug my ROKU into this dude, I could live entirely without cable TV.  Mo Sup couldn't, since all her chick shows are on cable, but still.  If times get real tough you can be quite happy with an antenna and ROKU (NetFlix, HULU, blah blah blah X a million)..  You're welcome.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

A regular antenna or that converter I thought we needed?
Tim

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Regular - the converter was for tv's made before the government mandated HD. New ones work same as always.

Alear said...

Coupla years ago I picked up an antenna. Figured get it running for when the cable goes out. Was amazed at the amount of channels it was picking up, most HD. Too bad I was doing it the night that putz Michael Jackson died, kinda spoiled it: He was on every one.

Steve in Greensboro said...

Rodger, for the umpteenth time, you are a genius. Here is the plan.

1) Get Roku and install.
2) Get antenna and install.
3) Call Comcast and cancel cable and send the bastids a letter explaining it was the Communist cell made up of the current staff of MSNBC (owned by Comcast) that drove me to it.

Yes, this nest of Commies includes The Mourning Schmo.

I'm getting so I can't even stand Fox News anymore: Shemp Smith, Bill "Ted Baxter" O'Reilly and that Commie Mike Wallace's son. I miss Tony Snow and whatever happened to Brit Hume?

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Steve, old revolutionaries soon grow fond of nice things and their cottage in Gstaad.

John Venlet said...

I've never paid to watch teevee, and am still utilizing the same antenna on the roof of my house that was there when I bought it 20 years ago. I receive just under 2 dozen HD channels. All are crisp.

Anonymous said...

Steve in GNBO:
Britt has retired to Floriduh. I had great respect for his impartiality .... until the last few months when he's taken it upon himself to denigrate candidates other than the Mitten. He seemed to emphasize any and all failings of the other candidates and minimize those of Willard.
tomw in GA

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.