Wednesday, June 06, 2012

The Jubilee

                                                           


Let's not let Wisconsin interfere with the Jubilee you berks

Res Ipsa Loquitur


But enough of my glamorous life. I wanted to talk - once more - about the Queen's Diamond Jubilee since I think it's jolly important that not every post on Ricochet today should be about the results in Wisconsin, delightfully encouraging though they are.

The Queen's Diamond Jubilee. If you're a Royalist like me, your heart will sing at this delightful tribute to the top twenty highlights of the celebrations.

Apart from the terrible weather (God, clearly, is a republican - and, to judge by Wisconsin, a Republican too) which is threatening to kill off the poor old Duke of Edinburgh (who caught a nasty chill, standing in the rain, saluting his wife for four hours), the event was a glorious triumph: an affirmation of national unity and pride in a country which has precious little reason for celebrating either right now.

If on the other hand, you're one of those curmudgeons who took such vigorous issue with my last post on this subject, let me correct a few of your more glaring misconceptions.

1. George III is no longer on the throne. What's more, a lot of us Limeys - myself anyway - are really happy for you that you won the Revolution. When I imagine the Revolutionary wars I definitely think of myself as a minuteman rather than, say, Banastre Tarleton. But hey, guess what: things have changed since 1776.

2. For example, there is nothing tyrannical or remotely oppressive about ...  [Full]

Wow. The Wisconsin recall was a big deal in Britain- and I guess anywhere public sector unions hold sway.   France, your phone is ringing. Oh, that's right.


6 comments:

rickn8or said...

Is Ms. Liz shooting at the iPod Barry gave her?

Anonymous said...

We need a roll over of Obama riding his bicycle to compare and contrast our national leaders.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if I'm a Delingpole fan yet. Although, I do like a good Banister Tarlton reference.

Casca

george said...

God bless the Queen and pass the ammo.

toadold said...

"Death comes for the Archbishop"

Helly said...

Fun, but needs to be juxtaposed with BarryO firing a round of golf.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.