Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Stuff

The Humanity                              


                                                            


Res Ipsa Loquitur

For the past, oh, maybe a month, my computer would just up and reboot about every 3-4 days.  Lately it's bee every 3-4 hours, and today was a nightmare.  Yes. I did have a svhost-demon problem, which explains why the Windows update wouldn't install.  I have no idea about the other.  The last time it shut down it took about 2 hours for Microsoft and HP to get it to boot (after a System  Retore).  If  it does it again, I'll have to think there's a hardware failure.  Wears you out man.  If I go missing this time look out the window.  There'll be smoke.

1201 - Time                     : 6/20/2012 6:23:18 AM
1202 - Source                   : Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient
1203 - Description              : Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643: Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2709715).


1202 - Source                   : BugCheck
1203 - Description              : The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x0000001e (0xffffffffc0000005, 0xfffff800030b082f, 0x0000000000000000, 0x000000007efa0000). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 061912-27908-01.
 
(Repeat 20 times)


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had some strange prollems then I replaced the power supply and viola, it's playing like a fiddle.
olds-mo-william

Tom Mann said...

Mine's been doing mystery restarts as well. I got a new surge protector battery pack and frequency has decreased, but it still happens. I'm blamin' pepco.

TimO said...

When my son's gaming PC started doing that I replaced the power supply and it's been fine (get one with more watts than the original...)

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Actually that's one of the only things I thought of. I had a computer once that was fine unless I turned it off at night. I figured it was a loose solder joint somewhere, so I'd warm it up inside with a hair dryer to get everything expanding, then it would start. See? Apple people never experience that kind of adrenaline rush like we do.

pdwalker said...

That's not true.

I got to experience the joy of the "atari twist" on my apple //c years ago.

You see, sometimes the chips would work themselves loose a little. When that happened, you'd take the case, grab it in opposite corners and twist your hands in opposite directions, first one way and then the other. This somehow caused things to fall back into place and the computer would work again.

It's that "HFS, it worked!" feeling you get that makes a potentially frustrating experience a joyful one.

(And yes, the technique was named after Atari owners discovered this solved a lot of problems with their home computer)

pdwalker said...

Oh and disable windows automatic updates.

Install updates manually about a month after the automatic updates go out so you can avoid the worst of the buggy updates

Anonymous said...

My MacBook is 7 years old, use it all day long-had to replace the hard drive 2 weeks ago.

Bumped up the memory and installed the newest Lion OS and wow, it's like a new computer.

Starts up from off, not sleep, in about a minute.

I guess you PC guys just like diking with these things.
MM

Celebrate Homogeneity said...

To those of you mystery reboots: check how snug the line cord fits into the power supply. (This is for desktop computers). If it is at ALL sloppy, change out the cord. Trust me on this; it works.

Celebrate Homogeneity said...

To anon at 6:20AM: listen, man. I like Macs as much as anyone, but saying that PC people are diking around questions their manhood. That's a low tactic if you ask me. Even if you don't ask me, saying someone is messing around with dikes just isn't a proper thing! Tsk Tsk.

Anonymous said...

To anon at 6:20AM:

It took decades before Mac got a real OS, Unix. With a real file system that works. All hidden away behind a pretty face. Windows 7 looks like Solaris of 12-13 years ago, showing a pretty face on Unix isn't anything new, with reboot intervals of years. The last box I set up before they sent me home for good stayed up without anyone fiddlin', without a reboot, for over six years. I think they would have had a problem finding the root password if needed.
Pah to the latecomers. You brag about ancient history.
tomw

DougM said...

Actually, I'm surprised some tyrant hasn't thought of that.
You know, outlaw connectivity and issue a gov't-approved-internet-contents disk.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.