Monday, July 02, 2012

Out of the darkness

TECHNO CHILLS                                

A Great Adventure (*cough)
                 



Rotting AF1

Without further explanation I lost everything computer I've done for the past year.  Passwords.  E-mail. What's galling is that I did everything right, but Microsoft failed.   So yeah, it sucks, but I'll look at it like doing another crossword puzzle (I did a dozen during the dark).  A new adventure, akin to parachuting into occupied California—  with no suitcase nukes.

Here's a random experience from the dark time..  For the first time in ages I listed to C-Span radio on my short wave.  WTF  happened to that once fine service.  Every time I tuned in there was some democrat  blabbing on as though not a person in the world would call in and spank them with facts.  I guess, because none did.  Not once.  Oh, there were callers, but all more radical then the guest, and that's something when you consider the two that drove me the most insane were some Jersey Rep. named Rob Andrews??, and then Henry Waxman. I had to leave.

Here's my quandary.  I believe acts committed in the heart and mind carry the metaphysical weight of being actually committed.  I am then a mass murderer several times over this weekend.  I found comfort in sending Stalin-like numbers straight to hell.  I'm hoping that by confessing here,  I will get some credit for contrition on the Big Day.  Like, I meant it in the good way.





18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Roger-I am afraid that I have the same problem on a daily basis. Is there hope or do we just fix bayonets?

DE644

Anonymous said...

Roger, TRKoF, what email client and browser do you use?

JLW III

Anonymous said...

You are not alone Boss . WOLVERINES ! ; ) > SMIBSID

Skoonj said...

Carbonite.

Kristophr said...

Hmmm.

I stopped using smtp email clients a long time ago.

I just keep a gmail account, and leave everything up on the google gmail server.

You could do the same with your current email services web client, I'll bet.

DougM said...

• Sometimes the sin is not in wishing to fire,
but in holding one's fire.
The original rules are a mite fuzzy, here, though.
• Take comfort, my son, in the knowledge that your travails with Windows were pre-ordained.
For it is written, "He that hath no backup drive and observeth not My commandment to perform the Rite of Backup on the Sabbath, then shall his data be cast into the pit of [unrecoverable]."
Or somesuch, but I'm sure it's in there, somewhere.
• Also, looking at the pic, it occurs to me that dogs can't read.

Chuck Martel said...

Since the fall of The Iron Curtain, there's not much on shortwave.

I miss WHCJB and Radio Moscow.

Anonymous said...

"I did everything right, but Microsoft failed"

Don't be silly -- dogs don't have watches, regardless of the term!

e~C

DougM said...

Claire just made me snort lemonade.

pdwalker said...

What exactly happened? Did your hard drive die and you discovered at the same time your backups actually hadn't?

(no, no cracks forthcoming about getting a mac, I just want to know so I can make a windows suggestion on how to prevent it from ever happening again)

Rodger the Real King of France said...

I kept getting blue-screened, and no Windows or HP fix-em-ups worked. I discovered that I could;d operate as usual in SAFE MODE w/ Networking just fine (no audio) so I used it while I started backing up stuff. Only it didn't backup, and then even SAFE MODE Blue-screened. My next ploy will be to install the old hard disk in the new computer and see if I can pluck files (like all my picture) out of the muck. Then I'll restore Windows and give the machine to MoSup.

Kristophr said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristophr said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristophr said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristophr said...

Rodge:

Put the old hard drive in any beater PC, and boot it with a LINUX live demo CD.

More recent versions of LINUX live CDs will mount your NTFS drive without worrying about what your windows password is.

Then shove in a USB thumb drive and grab your files.

In fact, a LINUX live demo CD is a standard part of an on-site tech's tool kit ... it will can-open any NTFS windows drive, even if some retard ex-employee altered the password and ran off.

Just be damned sure you don't actually INSTALL the LINUX OS, or it will nuke your files. Stay in demo mode.

pdwalker said...

Fortunately, it is just an inconvenience rather than a complete and total disaster.

Assuming the old and new computers use the same hard drive connectors, you can just pop the old hard drive into the new computer and copy everything.

The only thing I'd check first is to make sure the old hard drive does not have a file called "autoruns.ini" in the root directory of any of the partitions. If it has, your hard drive might have some worm/virus/trojan just waiting for a new computer to infect.

Use the advice from Kristopher to check for this file before putting in with the new computer.
As for using the Linux trick,

Kristophr said...

pdwalker: a LINUX demo CD is not going to get infected by a windows virus ... so just use it to mount the drive, copy My Documents to a thumb drive, and then nuke the fucker from orbit.

pdwalker said...

agreed, and that's what I would do, but your assumption that everyone is as technically capable as you is incorrect and not practical for those who find these things difficult.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.