Thursday, August 09, 2012

Indoor Pulled Pork

                   
                    

 
Indoor Pulled Pork


I love pulled pork (doesn't everyone who can?), and  previously bragged on my slo-cookin' crock pot version.  As good as it was, there were taste sacrifices made in return for lazy.  There was no "bark," that crispy shell that adds so much to texture and flavor, and no smoke flavor (although liquid smoke* would work here as well).  I saw this recipe on  America's Home Kitchen, and when I bought the book I received A CD set of all the season's episodes.  This was a favorite watch (maybe 5 times); yesterday I pulled the trigger. As Chris Kimble says at the end of the video - you will never taste finer.


Unplugged
There are two steps that I messed up on, one was beneficial, the other maybe not.
  1. The recipe calls for a 5 pound boneless Boston butt.  When I went to slice it- well, it wasn't boneless.  No problem, I cut the bone section out and plopped it alongside the other.  What happened is this was maybe the most delicious part.  Before I took pictures me, Hucker and MoSup had picked it clean.
  2. After 2 hours of brining, and after I'd applied the wet and dry rubs, I emptied the brine container and found all the salt and sugar sitting in a lump.  The next time I'll dissolve in a quart of hot water before proceeding.  Did this have any effect?  I don't know.
This takes more tending to than the crock pot version, but the smoky taste and bark make it well worth while.  BTW, the sauce is fabulous, although MoSup said it didn't need sauce.


*I used to eschew liquid smoke as a chemical contrivance until I saw this video.  You can o
verdo it, but it definitely adds to certain flavors.





9 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok -- I got a question. Yanno that phrase, "Fruit of his loins"? Yeah - kidz. From the "loins".

So how come the "loins" on that pig are on it's back?

e~C

Rodger the Real King of France said...

I know the "Loins of Winter" and tje MGM Loin, but that's about it.

Anonymous said...

I got your branding right here: Allah Brand Halal Pulled Pork.

Anonymous said...

Allah's Favorite Halal Pulled Pork.

(I'm on a tear today! You can thank me later when the royalty checks pile up)

Squeak said...

Alton Brown made liquid smoke. it's at about 9:15.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIK4DVLHf7Y&feature=player_embedded#!

molonlabe28 said...

The hog is a glorious animal that was sent by God to be revered and celebrated by his chosen people.

I spend a lot of time in Memphis, where I eat copious amounts of pulled pork.

I also eat a lot of its fish cousin, the catfish.

If you like one, you probably like the other.

Kind of like Bocephus and NASCAR racing.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Indeed Squeak - that's where I first learned about it.

MCPO Airdale said...

I use Liquid Smoke when I make my "BBQ" brisket in the oven (I do this in the winter when snow has covered the grill/smoker).

Rodger the Real King of France said...

molonlabe28, catfish is a family favorite, but I'll be damned if it isn't getting expensive - especially if you can go down the street and catch some nice blues or rock. sometimes.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.