Thursday, August 09, 2012

Ingenuity and Enterprise Agonistes

      
    
   
WHAT GUMMINT DOES

Res Ipsa Loquitor

I have a lot of admiration for the ingenuity these kids exhibit here.  Oddly, when I saw this yesterday, I connected with them this way.

 I had just tasted the pulled pork described below, and thought, if for a fleeting moment,  you know, this pork is so damned good that I could probably clean-up with a little stand.  But,  having had my own business, and also dealing over the years with the county getting various licenses just to sell hot dogs and beer at our community pool, I lost my ardor.  Unless they've changed and added zoning laws, in Houston I could just  set up a little stand in my front yard, and I like that idea.  The freedom of it all appeals to me.

The fact is, if those kids (who likely live in Africa) later show entrepreneurial promise, it will be crushed by a local warlord or corrupt politician wanting a cut, and making the rules.  And that's pretty much happens here anymore, much of it under the guise of "public health and safety,"  but all of it to collect taxes and protect certain interests of certain constituencies.

Left to our own devices, as we were 100 years ago, we would have this nation rocking again in no time.  Same with those kids— if they could get a government that encouraged individual enterprise, they'd be rich, and they'd be free.  We both face the same challenge.  Deciding who we have to kill, and having the gumption to do it.  I mean that in the good, figurative way, of course. They, probably not.



4 comments:

pdwalker said...

Ah c'mon!

They obviously didn't build that!

Anonymous said...

It sure looks like it was manufactured to the exacting standards of the labor union.
Steve_in_CA

Anonymous said...

I read yesterday that "0" accused Romney of taking the USA back to the Fifties. Yup, I'll vote for that.

Fifties equaled Freedom.

That Porch Dwelling Lupine

Anonymous said...

Note the name printed on the end of the box. He still has parts of the conglomerate running in SA?

heh

Note the uneven number of 'pushers'. One team has extra help...


tomw

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.