Friday, March 29, 2013

Pizza Oven v Pizza Stone

                   
                    

Great Follow-ups

Actually this is about using a real pizza oven.  Awhile back I told you about being given this counter top Hobart oven   The problem with it was where to put it?  If it was up to me, I'd leave it on the counter, but MoSup is Miss Tidy so that was not an option.  I temporarily stored it on a little table against a far wall, and prepared for having to get rid of it.  She has been dropping a lot of "ahems" lately. 

Alternative.  I bought a pizza stone.

Even if it worked as well as the Hobart (and it does not), the requirement of heating the stone for an hour bugs me.  Not only is that a lot of power being consumed by an empty oven, but the results were not comparable.  Good, yes; but not as good.

The oven on the other hand reaches heat in about five minutes, and will finish up to 4 pizzas in 12 minutes  So
here's the plan.  Let's hope it works.
Res Ipsa Loquitor

I have a bunch of these saved up and am collating now.  Will update later today.



12 comments:

Juice said...

Link = page not found, Mr. Fix-it.

iri said...

Turn your garage into a Man Kitchen. Problem solved.

Anonymous said...

Consider hanging it like a wall cabinet - this eliminates floor-space issues.

Anonymous said...

Add some legs, put the tablecloth on it, get rid of the kitchen table.
Voila.
And I'll do world peace tomorrow, after lunch.
Lt. Col. Gen. Tailgunner dick

Rodger the Real King of France said...

"page not found"

That's a rollover image device - no link necessary

Juice said...

If I'm the only one it's rolling over for, never mind, I'll figure it out. Thanks

Helly said...

"a lot of power being consumed by an empty oven, but the results were not comparable."

I feel your pain. If only someone could have predicted this. At some point you are going to realize the Hobart is a Retard Magnet and give it to a divorced friend.

I'm still turning out fab pizzas with my shiny Breville. This is a lamb pie. I cut the oven warmup overhead in half by having some bread dough ready to bake when the pizza comes out.

Speaking of stones, all that pales against Pan de Jamón. It makes pizza look girly. I finally got it up on Instructables. Do you have what it takes to turn out one of these bad boys, Rodge?

Anonymous said...

And she wonders why she's flying "The Leper Colony".

Casca

Anonymous said...

If you happen to have a gas oven, take the bottom wire rack and put it directly on top of the steel thingi that covers the burner. Put the pizza on foil w/ a cornmeal layer or whatever metal pan you want and let it cook there. Works like a charm for me. Browned, crisp crust, quick, easy and effective.

Zeek

Anonymous said...

Gosh-all-Friday, Miss Helly, you have potentially made an old man very happy, if I can follow that thru. Thanks very much.

Sir H the Comet

Mike C said...

Yanno,
This post is worth it just so I don't have to see BF's simulated butt in the following post first thing every time I come to visit...

On a related note (to the pizza, not the a$$), I make this except I use my bread machine to make the dough (french bread, dough cycle), then cook it in the oven, being sure to completely cover with egg wash. It magically disappears when the 'starving children' in the house discover it...

Juice said...

Mike C,
That looks good for adult appetizers, too. Thanks for the link.
Used my bread machine to make french bread dough last night so we would have rolls for grilled sausage. They turned out great.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.