Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Jane Tennison

   At The Cinema                           


Best Series Ever (Confirmed)

Salesmen will understand.  When I find something that excites me, I am compelled to tell people about it.  I'm also  naturally prone to over-hyperbole stuff, even afterjust  a short test drive. This sometime comes  back to bite me in the ass, like when I waxed all flowery about LILLIE:

"This BBC series is magnificent on several levels, not the least of which is it's intimate look at Victorian Age London ..."

Problem was, I had only watched  a few episodes when I wrote that. When the action  moved from London to America, the whole thing fell apart.  The characters were  boring and not believable;  the sets cheesy.  I immediately jumped ship, but felt guilty at having led others into a trap.  An event that would naturally send them cursing and to pretermit future recommendations. 

Same thing happened with SPOOKS.  Almost immediately calling it "the best television action series ever made," it went into full blown, anti George Bush BBC liberal mode.  I have since skipped several episodes, but am recently  rewarded when Adam Carter gets blown away.  The BBC is no more to be trusted than NBC.

But, Prime Suspect.   In April I called it the "Best Series Ever."  I just watched the 15th, and last episode, and it is all of that.  Confirmed with a ++. Premiering in December 1992, it lasted until October 2006.  Helen Mirren's 30 year career as Detective Inspector Jane Tennison evolves, almost in real time.  In those 14 years she ages gracefully, but noticeably.  I fell in love with Mirren, and this week's public rant fits perfectly Jane Tennison, who by the end had  become an alcoholic.  Bravo. Best Ever.

By the bye, it happened that just afterwards I watched what I thought was the 81st, and last, episode of Midsomer Murder.   There was no great acting here, nor brilliant screen play.  And it was decidedly  about showing the worst side of Britain's landed gentry. But it was like chicken soup, or a sail on the bay.  Something to exorcise demons after a day of too much Obama. I just now discovered it has continued,  with retired Chief Inspector Tom Barnaby's  cousin, John,  taking over for him.  That series in not in the NetFlix line-up, but I assume it will pop up soon.

20 comments:

leelu said...

Inspector Lynley has become a favorite. Kingdom, with Stephen Frye is quirky and interesting. Only the first season out on DVD so far. "Case Histories" is another good BBC offering.

As for American fare, Body of Proog with Dana Delaney. Two movies form a new-ish director Rian Johnson - "Brick" and "The Brothers Bloom". He has a third, "Looper", which I haven't seen yet

Anonymous said...

I found "Looper" to be very good (life-long nerd-geek and proud of it). The story and acting were well done.

Alear said...

I feel compelled to mention on this TV show that if you're not watching "Duck Dynasty", you want to start. It's brilliant comedy.

Anonymous said...

All of these on Instant Netflix are terrific.

Spiral (in French)

Protectors (Danish)

The Eagle (Danish)

Accused (British)

Collision (British)

Great stories and characters

Skoonj said...

I always thought highly of Yes, Minister and Yes, Prime Minister.

Anonymous said...

None better than Inspector Morse.

Casca

Anonymous said...

It's not as classy as some of your favorite shows, but if you haven't yet, you need to keep an eye out for "justified" starring Timothy Olyphant. I think you'd like it, boss.


Josh

Anonymous said...

Also, I will vouch for Looperr. A little strange, but very good.

Josh

Anonymous said...

I fell asleep somewhere, Boss. Where do you watch Prime Suspect? I can find season 1 & 2 on Youtube but no luck elsewhere. Helen Mirren is great.

Esteve said...

I think "Foyle's War" is so good that I can't make myself watch the finale episode on Netflix. I don't want it to be over.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

Prime Suspect is on Net Flix

Anonymous said...

Foyle's War is FANTASTIC, and new episodes began March 24th of this year (so far there have been 3 aired) watch for them to pop up on Amazon & Netflix in the future

-katzemeow

Anonymous said...

"THE UNIT" ALREADY!

Okay, so the link that I posted wasn't a good one, Still great.

thoR~

Celebrate Homogeneity said...

Let me throw in a good word for Doc Martin. It's available through NetFlix.

leelu said...

...I forgot to mention the Wallander series, based on the Henning Mankel books.

Steve in Greensboro said...

I loved the first season of "Cracker" with Robbie Coltrane. The second season, first episode, first scene had the Coltrane character go into an anti-American (Iraq War) rant. I stopped watching mid-rant and haven't watched another episode.

You might watch the Romola Garai "Emma". It is a four part TV series, streamable on Amazon Prime.

Anonymous said...

Looper was a surprisingly good movie, but for an even bigger surprise, watch "Dredd". I agree with all the Brit series mentioned, but one is missing----New Tricks----which has to be seen in order from the beginning.

jim

Hodja said...

The danish series The Eagle and The Protectors are PC shit. Anti-american, pro-islam leftwing non-sense. They have been debunked on danish blogs several times.

The same goes for swedish crime series. They are sometimes even worse than the danish ones.

As I have written before, swedish crime-series-authors are multi-millionaire marxists. (Mankell is a Maoist, who supports the "ship of fools movement. He was onboard Mavi Marmara).

Flyfish said...

I recommend Luther. Not very many episodes but since the main character is deeply conflicted it makes for great entertainment.

Anonymous said...


Go back to the mid 60's and revisit "The Avengers" with Diana Rigg as Mrs. Emma Peel. Love the Black leather fighting outfits. Yummm!!

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.