Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Two Trees


The auto-rotate drill in rotary wing flight training is where the instructor turns the engine off without warning.  The student pilot will then turn into the wind, which effect will keep the rotor blades turning while a safe descent and landing can be made.  So, my instructor at Army flight school, Fort Walters, Mineral Wells TX, cut my engine for the first time ever.  Snap! I turned into the wind; observed a landscape that consisted of level ground, with no obstructions other than some scrub. 

Except.

Except for two trees, the middle of which I targeted.  When we were close enough that the instructor was convinced of my intention, he grabbed the cyclic, powered up, and took us back to the staging field.  His critique went something like;"What in all hell were you thinking?  An open stage and you decide to land betwixt two trees that offer scant clearance?"

Hey, I like adventure.  So my continuing computer problems are explained.  That I'm flying a piece of crap Microsoft computer only exacerbates inherent Windows problems.  I am the enemy of myself in all these, Lo, many blackouts over the years.  Not Linux's fault.  I love Linux.

11 comments:

Helly said...

Everybody likes adventure, Rodge. Nobody can blame you for that.

Take Presbyterians for example. Our General Assembly is a highly adventurous crowd. They just voted to Christianize same-gender marriage.

((This is the kind of thing you miss whilst monkeying with computers.))

Anonymous said...

*smack*

Anonymous said...

Rodge, Microsoft writes the software, others write the other crap and more vendors sell their components to maker of the box. Can't blame it all on Mr. Softy. But why not?
olds-mo-william

pdwalker said...

I'm laughing my ass off, nit because of your misfortune, but because you really do see the humour inherent in life.

pdwalker said...

nit = not! but you knew that already.

Jess said...

I think the first thing to be done is to bottom the pitch, so the blades keep turning and you'll have some lift when you pull pitch right before the planned crash.

With Windows, there is no collective, pitch, wind or instructor to return power. You just fall like a rock, into a pile of spikes and wonder why you chose Windows in the first place.

MAX Redline said...

Winders machines sell for two main reasons: 1) they're cheap, and 2) they're easy to upgrade or repair.

Oh, and you can run Linux on them, too.

Personally, I'd never buy an Apple product. Not just because they're expensive and the hardware's proprietary, but also because AlGore's on their board.

Esteve said...

Rodger, as a Navy primary flight instructor, I would figure if a student was aiming at the trees it would be our best chance at missing them.

leelu said...

Helly,

My impression is the Presbyterians are tired of being Christian.

iri said...

leelu I think you'll find that to be the case in most Christian denominations. Some just hide it better than others.

Rodger the Real King of France said...

not me

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.