Thursday, February 02, 2006

American Idol

Sing Melancholy Baby
I have never watched more than two running minutes of American Idol, until this week. What changed is my continuing disinterest in television.  WTF?  Let me explain. 

From 6:00-8:00 my television is tuned to Channel 5 (FOX), where the programming runs 1)Seinfeld, 2) The Simpsons, 3) The Simpsons, 4) Seinfeld.  In the past  I changed channels at 8:00 to the Hitler Channel, and surfed from there.  Now, I'm generally unaware of programming changes (the disinterest), and stay focused on staring at the ceiling (the Bourbon), so when  Idol follows that last Seinfeld re-run, I let it go.  Holy Crap!

Most wannabe idols are truly B-A-D singers, but seem genuinely conviced otherwise.  I'm a bit taken back by the lack of civility this guy whats-his-name shows (''you make me want to vomit'') while dismissing them.  But, I'm even more surprised over the reaction many of them display ("You are totally wrong, I am great singer, so go to Hell!"). 

I mentioned this to Mother Superior, who was in the TIVO room watching garden shows, and she pegged it. 
"That's because nobody wants to hurt anybody's feelings anymore, starting in kindergarten, so nobody is aware of their shortcomings."
She's right.  In America, everybody wins at Musical Chairs, until they start playing Life.  Oh, the heartache.  Oh, the humanity. Sort of explains John Kerry.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's too much TV Rog. All done with your home projects?
MM

Anonymous said...

Actually, Rog, they DON'T play Musical Chairs anymore. Seems that the fact that each round somebody has to lose doesn't promise an equal outcome to everybody.

Lamont

Rodger the Real King of France said...

I think they do play musical chairs, but everyoone has one. :D Ain't this a great country?

Anonymous said...

Simon used to be so much mnore sublte about his hatred for the truly awful, now I think 5 years of this crap has taken it toll and just become downright mean (which I like a little better).

It used to be more formulaic:
1) Randy Jackson gave straight up advice about the audition.
2)Paula Abdul glowed over everybody and always had something positive to say
3) Simon drops the hammer even if they're good.

Now the first round has devolved into three famous people making fun of crappy singers and sending the occasional bright light to the next round.

You didn't miss much in the first 4 years for the first rounds...and if you happen to miss any more you still won't miss much. But it is fun to see cocky little shits get their ass handed to them.

PS: what's with the damn verification today? It's like 14 letters long.

Anonymous said...

Oh, the heartache. Oh, the humanity.
OH, the FUN! I love the cruelty and LMAO. It's the only part of the season worth watching. Pure entertainment to see these total nutjobs get handed a dose of reality. 'Bout time, isn't it? Come on, it's way more fun than watching some kid land on the floor when he's not quick or rude enough to grab the last chair before the music stops. Evil Joyce

Anonymous said...

Lord help me...but I do loves me some Idol.

I promised myself that I wouldn't get roped in again this year...even skipping the first week of shows.

Then came the Than Franthisco auditions...and I could not resist the temptation to watch.

Last nights Austin show was pretty hee-larious.

Simon: ...like when someone tries to stuff a bag full of potatoes?

LOL!!!!!!

And I totally agree with your assessment. Young people have been so coddled by their parents that they have absolutely no sense of the real world.

In today's society...everyone must be equal or face the wrath of the PC police.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.